|Thomson Introduces Expansive Family of RCA HDTV Sets, Monitors and Displays|
|Home Theater News Rear Projection HDTV News|
|Written by AVRev.com|
|Wednesday, 11 February 2004|
Thomson has just announced a series of new HDTV Sets, Monitors, and HDTV Displays. The showpieces of the RCA lineup include more than a dozen new Digital Cable Ready HDTV sets that will offer delivery of HDTV programming from local cable operators as well as widescreen reception and display of over-the-air broadcasts from local broadcasters who now offer digital TV service.
The new integrated ATSC and Digital Cable Ready models will be offered beginning this summer in a broad choice of screen sizes ranging from widescreen 40 inch sets up to mural-sized models called Profiles HDTV that are powered by DLP projection microdisplay light engines. The entire range of Thomson's 2004 HDTV products includes rear projection DLP and CRT rear projection HDTV Sets and HDTV Monitors as well as direct-view HDTV Monitors and flat-panel LCD HDTV Monitors and Plasma HDTV Displays.
Nine RCA Scenium Digital Cable Ready rear projection HDTV sets in 2004 will feature Texas Instruments' advanced DLP microdisplay technology including Profiles HDTV - ultra-thin RCA Scenium models that are thin and light enough to hang on a wall. With a new projection TV design that achieves HDTV with a cabinet only 6.85 inches deep (50 and 61 inch), consumers who buy the new RCA Scenium Profiles HDTV Sets can choose to view their HDTV programming using the set's tabletop stand or wall mounting bracket. These full-featured Digital Cable Ready HDTV Sets use a newly developed InFocus Light Engine, which enables the ultra-thin design.
Along with the ultra-thin Profiles HDTV Sets, Thomson is offering an all-new family of space saving Digital Cable Ready widescreen DLP HDTV Sets in cabinets as thin as 16 inches deep and weighing less than 80 pounds. These ergonomic DLP models feature screen sizes of 61, 50 and 44 inches, and all in the widescreen format.
The performance and feature package of both types of DLP rear-projection HDTV Sets includes:
• Built-in ATSC and QAM cable reception with Digital Cable Ready capability and CableCARD security slot for subscription to scrambled cable programming
• Second generation of Hi-Pix for 2004 DLP models combines display technology video optimization with updated Tru-Scan Digital Reality signal processing. Thomson's proprietary DLP bit sequences optimize the HDTV video for DLP displays. New Tru-Scan Digital Reality digital signal processing algorithms include advanced edge replacement, recursive noise reduction, and digital contrast expansion for a sharper, more realistic picture. Tru-Scan Digital Reality also includes horizontal and vertical peaking, auto-flesh, and 3-D Y/C frame comb technologies
• Extensive package of secure digital connections including HDMI with HDCP copy protection, dual two-way DTVLink1394 ports with DTCP copy protection (in select models), and multiple additional connections
• Touch Sensor Control Panel
• NetConnect Ethernet web browser for "second window to Internet" (in select models)
• TV Guide On Screen Interactive Program Guide
The CRT rear projection line-up for 2004 includes 17 new HDTV sets and HDTV monitor models split between the RCA Scenium and RCA lines.
Two RCA Scenium and five RCA models are Digital Cable Ready with widescreen displays in sizes including 40 inch, 52 inch, 56 inch, and 61 inch.
Digital Cable Ready RCA Scenium HDTV Sets include these features:
• Two-Tuner analog Picture-in-Picture capability
• TV Guide On Screen Interactive Program Guide (in select models)
• Secure digital interfaces
• SRS TruSurround XT Surround Sound capability (RCA Scenium models)
• NetConnect Ethernet web browser (RCA Scenium models)
There are three models of RCA Scenium HDTV Monitors in the 2004 line that include NTSC Two-Tuner Picture-in-Picture and built-in DVD players. All also include Reverse 3:2 Pulldown and DVI with HDCP connection.
Consumers can choose from more than 10 RCA rear projection HDTV Sets and HDTV Monitors. The RCA models include two 61 inch units, two 56 inch models, six 52 inch, and three 40 inch screen sizes. Five of these units are Digital Cable Ready HDTV Sets.
Features of select Digital Cable Ready and ATSC-integrated models include protective screen shield, TV Guide On Screen Interactive Program Guide for program guide, HDMI with HDCP connection, 1394 port with DTCP, and Reverse 3:2 Pulldown. Key features of the new RCA HDTV Monitors include two NTSC tuners, analog Picture-in-Picture, built-in DVD player and Reverse 3:2 Pulldown plus DVI with HDCP.
Thomson's three new LCD HDTV Monitors and two Plasma HDTV Displays incorporate dramatic, contemporary designs and digital TV picture performance.
RCA Scenium LCD models are the 30-inch widescreen LCDX3022W, the 27-inch LCDX2722W, and the 23-inch LCDX2328WD with built-in DVD player. Both the LCDX3022W and the LCDX2722W feature a 170-degree viewing angle which delivers picture quality from virtually any location in a room while the LCDX2328WD offers the convenience of instant widescreen DVD entertainment as well as audio CDs and mp3 playback.
Key RCA Scenium LCD features include:
• Progressive Scan 720p Native Resolution
• 3D Y/C Digital Frame Comb Filter
• Reverse 3:2 Pulldown
• Integrated NTSC Tuner
• DVI with HDCP
Continuing in the line for 2004 are two Plasma models, the RCA Scenium PHD50500 50-inch widescreen display and the 42-inch RCA PHD42600 display, both featuring a 160-degree widescreen panorama viewing area. The PHD50500 includes the exclusive Hi-Pix Picture System, extra-deep plasma cell housing for accurate color display and 10-bit display technology for accurate video reproduction of darker scenes. The PHD42600, with built-in side-fired speakers, features an 18-watt audio system for true stereo sound and a total entertainment package.
For 2004, Thomson will offer three direct-view RCA HDTV Monitors with TruFlat picture tubes in both widescreen and conventional screen formats. The HDTV Monitor line includes the D30W750T widescreen 30-inch model, the D32F750T 32-inch and the D27F750T 27-inch 4x3 models.
The widescreen D30W750T HDTV Monitor features Automatic Letter Box Detection, dual SyncroScan HD Component Video Inputs, and 10-Watt audio system. Additional performance features shared by the three direct-view models include:
• 3-Line Digital Comb Filters
• INVAR Shadow Masks
• Reverse 3:2 Pulldown
• High-Performance Scan Velocity Modulation
• DVI with HDCP, surround sound capability and SRS TruBass
• Multiple Language Onscreen Displays
• 2 Composite A/V Inputs
• Subwoofer Output
• Composite A/V Output