|Former Cello Designers Launch Mods for Vintage Cello Reference Components|
|Home Theater News Industry-Trade News|
|Written by Scott Selter|
|Wednesday, 04 April 2001|
Former Cello Designers Launch Mods for Vintage Cello Reference Components
Viola Audio Labs, a new high-end audio company, composed of the original Cello engineers and management have developed new performance modifications to the vintage Cello Reference components like Cello’s Audio Palette and Audio Suite.
The Enhanced Replacement Electronics that have a variety of uses and can be installed in the Audio Suite, the Audio Palette, or both to enhance performance. These are replacement boards that are placed in the signal path of each of these vintage products. The enhancers will provide greater openness, phase coherence, detail and accuracy. Operation with the enhancers installed will produce less noise and less distortion.
The Cello Audio Suite preamplifier modules (model numbers: P301, P100, P201 and P200) can each be enhanced. Doing so reportedly results in a clearer, more accurate music presentation.
Viola recommend upgrading in the following order:
• The simple P301 improvement is to install the OTA-5B boards in both channels of the non-inverting output (1 pair of OTA-5B): cost = $950 for the pair; or
• The complete P301 improvement includes installation of OTA-5B boards in both the non-inverting output and the inverting output (2 pairs of OTA-5B): cost = $1900 for the two pairs.
• The P200 or P201 improvement is to install OTA-3B boards in both channels (1 pair of OTA-3B): cost = $900 for the pair per module.
ª The P100 improvement is to install OTA-3B boards in both channels (1 pair of OTA-3B): cost = $900 for the pair.
The Palette changes we recommend in the following order:
• The non-inverting output: 1 pair of OTA-3C, cost = $900;
• The inverting output: 1 pair of OTA-3C, cost = $900;
• The 15 HZ and the 25 kHz filter board output amps: 2 pairs of OTA-5C, cost = $1900; and
• The input, filter drive and filter sum amps: 3 pairs of OTA-3C, cost = $2700.
Therefore, the improvements to the palette can cost from $900 for the simplest change to $6400 for the complete change.
All prices are quoted as U.S./ M.S.R.P. and do not include freight, customs or handling charges that may be added in international destinations. Prices are for the module boards alone that can be simply installed at home or at a dealer. The Audio Palette is more complex and may require some recompensation after the enhancements have been completed. For factory installation there will be a small labor charge and shipping costs. When combined with a factory cleaning and "tune-up" service, it may cost up to a maximum of $500 to have Viola complete your Palette service.
For more information about the Viola Audio mods, news about new designs by Viola Audio Labs and or service to your current Cello components contact Viola directly.
Viola Audio Labs
315 Peck Street
New Haven, CT, 06513