|Paradigm's New Lineup of Monitor Series Loudspeakers|
|Home Theater News Floorstanding Loudspeakers News|
|Written by AVRev.com|
|Thursday, 28 December 2006|
Paradigm has just introduced the latest incarnation of its affordable high-end Monitor Series loudspeakers. As the company continues to expand into exciting new product categories it has combined its well-known budget audiophile Performance Series with the affordable high-end Monitor Series to create a new series that streamlines the company’s offerings and simplifies the product line. Monitor Series v.5 now represents a new generation of elegance, performance and value according to Paradigm.
Paradigm’s SuperDrive™ technology combines high efficiency with high output and ultra-low distortion. As a result, even with moderately powered amplifiers Monitor Series v.5 speakers deliver a higher level of performance than in previous models. Much higher efficiency and higher power handling also mean that these speakers can now compete directly with the efficiency and output of major brands of horn speakers. In non-level-matched a/b comparisons, the new Monitor speakers not only play as loud, their sound is authentically high-end. What’s more, compared to all other major speaker brands, when it comes to playing loud Monitor v.5 speakers lead the way — and not just in their product category, but compared to speakers selling at more than twice the price.
The new 3-way design found on all the center channels delivers measurably improved off-axis performance and extended dynamic range while also ensuring superb timbre matching in a multichannel music or movie setup. Monitor Series v.5 replaces Performance Series v.4 and Monitor Series v.4; however, since Paradigm’s Performance Series of budget audiophile speakers contained some of the most recognized models in the industry, the company will continue to use two of the model names – Atom and Titan – in the new Monitor Series v.5. It should be noted, however, that these models are a huge step up from their previous versions since they are now recipients of a complete redesign which includes all the benefits of Paradigm’s new SuperDrive™ technology:
• High-Power Phase-Coherent Crossovers with new series/parallel topology in an optimized high-current design and the highest quality component parts: film capacitors (normally only found in Paradigm’s top of the line Paradigm® Reference speakers), high-power ceramic resistors and air/steel-core inductors.
• H-PTD™ High-Efficiency Pure-Titanium Domes with redesigned tweeter WaveGuide™ deliver a significant increase in high-frequency output over all previous generations. Powerful ceramic magnets (neodymium magnets in center channels and the ADP-390) and high levels of ferro-fluid ensure exceptional power handling for high-frequency response that is crystal clear, exceptionally spacious, with superb extension.
• M-ICP™ High-Efficiency Minimum-Mass Injection-Molded Co-Polymer Polypropylene Midrange and Bass/Midrange Cones. The ultra-low-mass material combined with the exceptional rigidity achieved through the injection-molding process ensures audibly superior performance.
• Dedicated Midrange Drivers have been optimized for their specific role in center channel and surround/rear performance. Ferro-fluid cooling ensures increased power handling; smaller over-molded surrounds (see additional info below) further reduce moving mass; and rigid, lightweight copper voice coils enhance motor power while also serving to reduce mass.
• Over-Molded Santoprene® Polypropylene/Rubber Surrounds, Nomex® Spiders and Lightweight Copper or Aluminum Voice Coils. The over-molding process chemically bonds the cone to the surround at the molecular level. The result is a substantial increase in strength and durability while reducing overall mass. Nomex® was chosen for its demonstrated performance under even the most demanding conditions.
• Advanced High-Power Carbon-Infused Bass Cones continue to control the lower bass frequencies.
• Redesigned Die-Cast or Grip™ Glass-Reinforced Injection-Molded Polymer Chassis (varies by model) encourage outstanding rigidity across the series.
The new Monitor Series v.5 lineup:
Atom Monitor – Two-driver 2-way bookshelf/stand-mounted: 5-1/2" M-ICP™ mid/bass, 1" H-PTD™ dome; $249/pr (Replaces Atom, Titan).
Mini Monitor – Two-driver 2-way bookshelf/stand-mounted: 6-1/2" M-ICP™ mid/bass, 1" H-PTD™ dome; $379/pr. (Replaces Focus, Mini).
Titan Monitor – Two-driver 2-way bookshelf/stand-mounted: 7-1/2" M-ICP™ mid/bass, 1" H-PTD™ dome; $499/pr. (Replaces Monitor 3 and 5).
Monitor 7 – Four-driver 2-1/2-way floorstanding: Two 5-1/2" carbon-infused polypropylene bass, 5-1/2" M-ICP™ mid/bass,1" H-PTD™ dome; $649/pr (Replaces Esprit and Phantom).
Monitor 9 – Four-driver 2-1/2-way floorstanding: Two 6-1/2" carbon-infused polypropylene bass, 6-1/2" M-ICP™ mid/bass,1" H-PTD™ dome; $899/pr.
Monitor 11 – Four-driver 2-1/2-way floorstanding: Two 7-1/2" carbon-infused polypropylene bass, 7-1/2" M-ICP™ mid/bass, 1" H-PTD™ dome; $1,199/pr.
CC-190 – Four-driver 3-way center channel: Two 5-1/2" carbon-infused polypropylene bass, 3-1/2" M-ICP™ mid/bass, 1" H-PTD™ dome; $249/ea (Replaces CC-170).
CC-290 – Four-driver 3-way center channel: Two 6-1/2" carbon-infused polypropylene bass, 4-1/2" M-ICP™ mid/bass, 1" H-PTD™ dome; $399/ea (Replaces CC-270 and 370).
New Model! CC-390 – Seven-driver 3-way center channel: Four 6-1/2" carbon-infused polypropylene bass, two 4-1/2" M-ICP™ mid/bass, 1" H-PTD™ dome; $599/ea.
ADP-190 – Four-driver 2-way surround/rear: Two 5-1/2" M-ICP™ mid/bass, two 1" H-PTD™ domes; $199/ea (Replaces ADP-170).
ADP-390 – Five-driver 3-way surround/rear: One carbon-infused polypropylene bass, two 4-1/2" M-ICP™ mid/bass, two 1" H-PTD™ domes; $349/ea (Replaces ADP-370).
*All prices are US FMV. Monitor Series v.5 bookshelf and floorstanding speakers are available in Cherry, Rosenut or Black Ash; Atom Monitor is also available in White. ADP-190 and ADP-390 are available in Black or White.