|DISH Network First to Offer Free Digital Video Recorder|
|Home Theater News Cable-Satellite Receiver-DVR-PVR News|
|Written by AVRev.com|
|Tuesday, 26 August 2003|
DISH Network has just announced the introduction of the DISH Player - DVR 510, the newest combination satellite TV receiver and digital video recorder.
DISH Network is offering this new DVR for free to new customers as part of its latest "Free DISH" promotion, including its DISH Video On Demand service for the new DVRs.
The DISH Player - DVR 510 features a seven-day on-screen program guide, a 120-gigabyte hard drive capable of up to 100 hours of tapeless recording, parental locks and more. With the new Free DISH promotion, new customers will receive a free DISH Player - DVR 510, satellite dish, remote control and free standard professional installation, a retail value of $299. This promotion ends January 31, 2004.
DISH Network's new DISH Video On Demand service allows viewers to skip commercials and other pre-recorded programming without videotape, as well as pause live TV, perform slow-motion instant replays, fast forward and fast reverse. The DISH Video On Demand's tapeless recording capabilities give viewers complete control of their television to watch what they want at their convenience.
The free DVR promotion requires a $49.99 activation fee, which will be credited on the customer's first bill. This promotion also requires a 12-month commitment, a minimum programming purchase of America's Top 50 or DISH Latino Spanish-language package, and includes free standard professional installation. Customers who make a 24-month commitment will be able to get a free Dish301 satellite television receiver in addition to the DISH Player - DVR 510, allowing them to watch different TV programs in separate rooms.
There is no monthly DISH Video On Demand service fee for DVR customers who sign up for America's Everything Pak programming package. For DVR customers choosing America's Top 100 or America's Top 150 programming packages, a monthly service fee of $4.98 will apply.
In addition to the features already noted, DISH Video on Demand customers can benefit from the following capabilities and features:
• 30 Second Skip Forward during pre-recorded programming.
• Four fast-forward and fast-reverse speeds.
• Event timers that automatically change the TV to a different program or command the internal hard drive or external VCR to record selected programs at a designated time.
• Increased channel storage in four Favorites' lists.
• UHF/Infrared remote control for operating the satellite receiver from a distance of up to 100 feet through walls and that is programmable for TV, VCR and other components.
• On-screen locks for pay-per-view and adult channels, plus V-chip type technology for parental control based on channels, ratings or content.
• 14 interactive TV services powered by OpenTV, providing interactive features such as payment services, Instant Weather, horoscopes and sports scores.
Existing DISH Network customers can upgrade to the DISH Player - DVR 510 for $199.99 when they commit to one year of America's Top 100 channel package.