Page 2 of 2
WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST SETUP?
I can't remember exactly but some of the equipment I remember include Citizen CB-1000 CD player, Nakamichi BX-303 cassette deck, Warfedale Laser1 speakers (fronts), Pioneer SX-7 speakers (rears), Pioneer SP-101 Surround Processor, Sansui power amp for the front channels and Marantz integrated amp for the rear channel. The TV was a 29" 4:3 Pioneer CRT with a Pioneer LaserDisc player as the source.
WHAT'S YOUR DREAM SETUP?
I'm very happy with my system. I just want to upgrade my projector to a Panasonic PT-AE4000U.
WHAT GEAR ARE YOU GETTING NEXT?
The Panasonic PT-AE4000U!
FAVORITE DEMO DISCS (audio or video) AND WHY?
- 'The Box' (opening scene): steering of typewriter clacking from left to right can show any flaw in LCR EQ and positioning
- Dolby's The Sound of High Definition II (Chris Botti track): playing back the track at literally live-volume and not hearing any distortion from any speaker is a difficult task for any amp/speaker combination
- Disney's 'Bolt' (chapter 2): steering, LFE action, and all the cacophony in the recording will sound jumbled together if the speakers are not adequeate to replicate complex sound structure. I have yet to hear a single HTiB that can reproduce this one scene without giving me an ear fatigue halfway through the chapter.
HOW MANY BLU-RAYS/DVDS/CDS/LASERDISCS, VHS TAPES, VIDEO GAMES DO YOU OWN?
About 700 BD, 1,000+ DVDs, 1,000+ CDs, 100 LDs, and about 100+ Wii games.
Well there we have it, folks. Thanks to David and all the High-Def Digest readers who answered the questionaire and sent in pictures of their setups. There are quite a number of them to look through, and it's going to be fun sharing them with all the readers. If anyone's interesting in being a part of Share Your Setup, drop me a line at email@example.com.
For more info on David's exact gear, click the tabs below. For more pictures of David's theatre, check out his his slide shows here and here. Make sure to comment below to talk more about David's setup! Cheers and thanks for reading.
- Room Size: 10 ft. x 16 ft. x 9 ft. (as per ITU-R standard)
- The Walls: 5/8" Double-Insulated surfaces with Solid Core door
- Room Colour Scheme: Behr's Disney Collection's Code Red (from Disney's Cars) - 5 coats -- for back and side walls Behr's Disney Collection's Mickey's Ears - 3 coats -- for ceiling and front wall
- Carpet: Sorcerer's Hat Blue carpeting
- Viewing Distances: First Row: 9 ft. (as per THX recommendation) / Second Row: 13 ft. (as per SMPTE recommendation)
- Screen Size: 96" 2.40:1 Aspect Ratio to maintain Constant Image Height
- Speaker Placement & Configuration: 5.1 in ITU-R placement standard as adopted by THX PM3 post-production room recommendation
- Seats: Bell'o Getti Black Leather Manual Reclining Theatre Seats
David's gear is "located in a separate room behind the screen. the lighting system, audio and video power circuits are sepearte to eliminate any kind of interference"
Pioneer CLD-D604 LaserDisc Player
Pioneer DVR-660 DVR
Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD Blu-ray Player
Pioneer Elite PD-D9 CD Player
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD HD PVR
Grandview Custom Screen 96" 21:9 1.0 Gain (custom designed by David Susilo)
PSB Century 300i Sattelites x4
PSB Image C5 Centre Channel
PSB SubSeries 300
Pioneer Elite SC-25
GutWire (Power Cables)
Monster Cable (Front Channels)
Monster Cable (M2000HD HDMI cables and Sigma Retro Interlinks)
Nagaoka (Rear Channels)
StraightWire (In Wall Feeds)
Control Room Monitor:
Toshiba 19" LCD
Woon Tactile Transducer x6 (One per Seat)
JVC (powering the Tactile System)