Page 2 of 3
Audience LLC has been around since 1997 because they make excellent products, with pride, in California, for what are fair prices considering the quality of construction, performance, and research involved in bringing these cables to market. The same applies to their power conditioners, and speakers, which I saw being assembled first hand during my visit to the factory.
While the Audience cables are not cheap, they easily go head to head with competition charging two to three times as much. I was seduced by their refined, balanced presentation and their ability to disappear from the proceedings and allow the music to flow gracefully. I get irritated by companies promoting “magic wire”, and Audience is refreshingly 100% free of any outlandish claims. They offer properly engineered, well built cables with high quality conductors that should work in most systems. Audience also provides custom lengths and terminations upon request. If you are shopping for state of the art interconnects, I would highly advise you include Audience cables on your short list to demo.
John McDonald, President, weight lifting a 5uF/3,000 volt Auricap. His secret to that muscular build!
Interview with John McDonald, CEO, of Audience LLC:
Avrev: I really enjoyed evaluating your cables, and in addition to sound quality, they were easy to work with. Did you end up with a low mass, flexible cable by design?
JM: Absolutely! The Low mass, low eddy current and flexible design is intentional for the best possible transmission of low level information.
Avrev: It is never easy to stand out in a crowded field, what do you think distinguishes Audience cables from the pack?
JM: Audience was first to break the “bigger is better” syndrome about 13 years ago with the ultra thin and flexible Au24 cables. Audience is not about flavors; we strive for absolute tonal accuracy and naturalness in every musical aspect.
Avrev: I love the RCA and banana plugs, can you tell us a bit about them?
JM: Like the Au24 cables our proprietary RCA connectors were designed for low mass, low eddy current and natural sound qualities.
Pricing: Interconnect: 1m pair, unbalanced, $877 1m pair, balanced, Speaker Cable: 2M pair, $1523.
Manufacturer Contact Info: Audience, LLC, 120 N. Pacific Street #K9, San Marcos, CA 92069. Tel: (800) 565-4390, (760) 471-0202. Fax: (760) 471-0282. www.audience-av.com
- Robert Plant: Band Of Joy-Rounder-2010
- Lizz Wright: Fellowship-Verve Forecast-2010
- Bert Jansch: Birthday Blues-Sanctuary-2001
- Roy Orbison: All Time Greatest Hits-Mobile Fidelity-2008
- Renaissance: Ashes Are Burning-Repertoire-2006
- Renaissance: Turn of the Cards: Repertoire-2006
- CD Player: Naim CD5 XS with Flatcap 2X,
- Preamp: Audio Research SP16
- Amplifier: Audio Research VS55,
- Speaker: Harbeth Compact 7ES3, Audience 2 + 2; Thiel CS3.7
- Cables: DH Labs, RS Cables, Kimber/QED/Acoustic Zen (AC)/Transparent (AC)/Element Cable, Shunyata, Pangea, Audience
- Accessories: Symposium Rollerblocks, Shakti Stone, Sound Anchors stands, Timbernation platform, CablePro Noisetrapper
- CD Player: Marantz 5003
- Music Server: Squeezebox 3
- DAC: CIA VDA-2 with VAC-1 Power Supply
- Tape Deck: Revox A77, Edirol 96/24 WAV recorder
- Amplifier: McIntosh MA6600
- Speaker: Harbeth Compact 7ES3
- Cables: Kimber/QED/Transparant/Shunyata(AC)/PS Audio(AC), Pangea Audio, RS Cables, Element Cables.