Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > Vinyl

Vinyl Long live the LP. Post topics about LPs, players, setup and more.

Old 09-06-2009   #1

Default Quiet Sound Issues

I've recently rigged up a Dual 521 turntable to two Technics speakers via a preamp and was satisfied for quite some time. It wasn't till I stuck on some 60s music (Dylan/Beatles etc...) that I noticed certain vocals/instruments are much too quiet. Sometimes the vocals sound too loud in contrast with the quiet music and sometimes vice versa. It should play in Stereo and I know that it's trying to, but some of the sounds are irritatingly dim.

I'm aware that I'm in desperate need of a new stylus but as a result of a rare type, it is taking a long time to get it ordered in. Could this have anything to do with it not picking up all the sounds efficiently? Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I'm quite new to the world of vinyl.

Thanks
DarHos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009   #2

Default Re: Quiet Sound Issues

I doubt it would be your turntable or cart picking up some sounds better than others to the degree you mention.

Try a new stylus and check your settings but it is probably just the way they were recorded.

I have a lot of older albums that the stereo has a definite ping pong effect, recording engineers in those days sometimes went over board with having two channels for stereo to play with instead of mono with one.
Hypnotoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009   #3

Default Re: Quiet Sound Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarHos View Post
I've recently rigged up a Dual 521 turntable to two Technics speakers via a preamp and was satisfied for quite some time. It wasn't till I stuck on some 60s music (Dylan/Beatles etc...) that I noticed certain vocals/instruments are much too quiet. Sometimes the vocals sound too loud in contrast with the quiet music and sometimes vice versa. It should play in Stereo and I know that it's trying to, but some of the sounds are irritatingly dim.

I'm aware that I'm in desperate need of a new stylus but as a result of a rare type, it is taking a long time to get it ordered in. Could this have anything to do with it not picking up all the sounds efficiently? Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I'm quite new to the world of vinyl.

Thanks
You might try double-checking the leads to the cart. to make sure they are properly placed...incorrect connections could produce the kind of sound you describe....mike
finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, dvd, issues, loud, music, playing, quiet, quietly, revolution, sound, sounds, surround, system, tv, video, vocal