Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > Vinyl

Vinyl Long live the LP. Post topics about LPs, players, setup and more.

Old 04-14-2009   #1

Question Where to get turntables repaired...?

It's such obscure tech these days, and yet when something so ANALOG as a turntable needs fixing, someone has to be able to do it. All those moving parts...the belts, motors, springs, switches, etc.

I have a '90s vintage Harmon Kardon semi-auto turntable which switches the belt-drive motor on when the tonearm is moved over the platter. The switch must be corroded, because it often takes 5-10 minutes after setting down before the platter starts to rotate. This must be a simple $10 part and an hour of labor to fix, then the deck would work good as new. I can't find any company in the Southern California area that works on devices this old.

Anyone know of a good technician who still works on turntables? If not in California, I'd consider shipping it out of state if it were less expensive than buying a new player.

Thanks!

-
GrtGrfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Where to get turntables repaired...?

I googled "turntable repair los angeles" and got several hits. Give that a try. Good luck.
rbinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009   #3

Default Re: Where to get turntables repaired...?

You might be able to find an answer at this website: http://www.vinylengine.com/library/harman-kardon.shtml

If it's one of the models listed, they may have a manual you can download. Or maybe someone on their forums can help you.

Good luck.
angrybuddhist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
analog, angeles, audio, belts, california, find, los, repaie, repair, repairs, southern, technician, turntable, turntables, vintage