Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vinyl (http://www.avrev.com/forum/vinyl-7/)
-   -   Making the switch: CD to vinyl (http://www.avrev.com/forum/vinyl/2243-making-switch-cd-vinyl.html)

Sound-of-Muzak 07-22-2008 09:16 PM

Making the switch: CD to vinyl

Ok, so upon discovering the horrifying loudness war about a week ago, I got really depressed about the quality of my CD's.

I had just recently boycotted mp3 and other formats besides .wav based on pure principle. I am still kicking myself for buying digital albums online. After finally deciding to go strictly CD, I now discover this garbage the industry is putting out after listening to my recently purchased Muse CD's. All of which have almost zero dynamic range.

Now, here's my dilemma. I was about to purchase a mini hi-fi system for my room, because I don't have a lot of money or space, but decided against it based on a feeling in my gut. That feeling must have been my soul telling me to go the vinyl route instead. I feel like it's my only option.

Regardless of how you feel about the analog vs. digital, give me some options here. I'd rather just have one form of media for my music. I refuse to use mp3 players now, even if just in my car. Because once that happens, you learn to accept crap sound outside of the car.

I am thinking about selling all my CD's (about 100), buying a decent turntable and speaker setup, and replacing all those CD's with vinyl. I would get one of those things to transfer those records I wanted to digital for portable cd player use. Do most vinyl setups have a headphone jack?

Does this sound like a stupid idea? I'd rather just own all my collection in one format. I have a slightly obsessive personality. I think I'm someone who'd appreciate vinyl.

Thanks for any advice,
Joe.

kennyt 07-23-2008 02:00 AM

Re: Making the switch: CD to vinyl

Joe,

Their is a huge trend towards vinyl lately, I myself am shopping for a TT now as well. I doubt I'll give up on CD though, and will keep a universal player as well for SACD and DVD-A, as well as a Blu-ray player for the hopeful uprise of Blu-ray music.

What is right for you only you can decide, but if you go vinyl, enjoy it!

KT

rlpiii 07-23-2008 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sound-of-Muzak (Post 16702)
. . .I am thinking about selling all my CD's (about 100), buying a decent turntable and speaker setup, and replacing all those CD's with vinyl. I would get one of those things to transfer those records I wanted to digital for portable cd player use. Do most vinyl setups have a headphone jack?

Does this sound like a stupid idea? . . .

Yes.

If you don't like CD, then go SACD or eventually Blu-Ray.

If not, then enjoy your snap, crackle & pop, with your turn table.

IMHO I believe that if you do NOT already have a large record collection, it is stupid to start now.

Sound-of-Muzak 07-23-2008 08:36 PM

Well, I did some browsing on ebay and online outlets of vinyl, and decided it's not worth the cost. I'm only 20, and there's no sense in being anal retentive about my music collection. My friends already think I'm weird for refusing to use an ipod. CD's sound better than mp3's at least. I'm gonna check out some hybrid SACD/CD players. How much do they typically cost, and can anyone recommend one? I'll search around the forum. My first purchase will definitely be Pink Floy'd DSOTM on SACD, if I buy the player/

rlpiii 07-24-2008 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sound-of-Muzak (Post 16723)
Well, I did some browsing on ebay and online outlets of vinyl, and decided it's not worth the cost. I'm only 20, and there's no sense in being anal retentive about my music collection. My friends already think I'm weird for refusing to use an ipod. CD's sound better than mp3's at least. I'm gonna check out some hybrid SACD/CD players. How much do they typically cost, and can anyone recommend one? I'll search around the forum. My first purchase will definitely be Pink Floy'd DSOTM on SACD, if I buy the player/

Pink Floyd DSOTM on SACD is a great first SACD buy. It was mine as well.

Sound-of-Muzak 07-25-2008 11:38 PM

Can anyone recommend a good cheap CD stereo?

I was looking at this one or something similar . . .http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

granted I don't give a crap about the ipod dock