Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > Vinyl

Vinyl Long live the LP. Post topics about LPs, players, setup and more.

Old 07-06-2008   #1

Red face 600 gr vinyl-hype?

hello vinyl-lovers,
just new on the forum, cause i've been switching back to vinyl (as so many!)

compliments for the forum and those who work on it!

a couple of newbe-questions;
120gr, 180 gr, 200gr vinyl, it's all out there.If you have a good turntable and decent speakers
could one hear differences in vinyl-weight? (ofcorse, artwork etc is nicer)
i'm to much a snob not to want those 45rpm 220gr pressings of the blue-note album.
but those prices:-(

I switched back to vinyl, mainly because it's a different experience..
Do some of you think it is worth the extra money(soundwise)) ?

i haven't compared the cd against the vinyl yet, maby afraid i won't hear a difference

secondly; Vinylcleaning with a maschine and chemicals(v.i.p. for ex.) is not damaging your records for the long term?

ok,
thank you for listening in...
figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #2
wes

Default Re: 600 gr vinyl-hype?

Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro View Post
hello vinyl-lovers,
just new on the forum, cause i've been switching back to vinyl (as so many!) compliments for the forum and those who work on it!

Vinyl!!! why listen to cracks and noise when you can have pure digital SACD, Blu Ray Music, High quality Download or good plain old CD
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010   #3

Vinyl will always be the way for me because of titles like these;

Finding new vinyl weirdness is a never ending passion.
Staropramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010   #4

Doesn't look like anyone is answering your question dude...

Anyway I have all weights of old and new vinyl and have heard differences in the same album that I bought years ago, and still in pristine shape, and a new 200gm copy of the same album and the heavy vinyl did sound better (to me) but it's SO not a black and white area. I also have some LP's that are thin as latex and sound thicker than any of the heavyweights I have!!! BUT, IMHO the point of heavier vinyl is that the "original" sound will last longer simply because there's more vinyl that it's pressed on. Every time you play a record it wears it down a fraction-do the math. That's why I'm getting ready to upgrade certain elements in my TOTAL system and burn all my vinyl on to an external Hard-Drive to preserve it. Then I can pull out the albums less often but still enjoy that wonderful vinyl experience (now in flac format) whenever I want without worrying about them wearing out. And when I want to get that vinyl mojo ritual happenin' for my friends who haven't ever seen a record, I don't have to worry so much.

I guess my bottom line on all this gram weight is that there are people re-releasing albums like Muddy Waters' "Folk Singer" on 180gram, which I have and I must say that when I set that needle down "Muddy is in the house!"
vinylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
Vinyl!!! why listen to cracks and noise when you can have pure digital SACD, Blu Ray Music, High quality Download or good plain old CD
Because vinyl delivers the wave form as it was intended with nuances abound not some square wave with the tops and bottom cut off...vinyl delivers the analog sound as it is/was not converted (and hence damaged) digital wave form. Once you hear a good vinyl recording and do am A/B comparison with a CD of the same the superiority becomes clear.
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
180, audio, back, blue, cd, forum, forums, gr, hype, hypegr, lovers, note, switching, vinyl, weights