Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > Vinyl

Vinyl Long live the LP. Post topics about LPs, players, setup and more.

Old 09-05-2008   #49
jbk

Default Re: Turntable shopping.. any help?

Wes,

There are a number of TT's that you can get through online dealers such as AudioAdvisor, MusicDirect, Acoustic Sounds and KAS that will sound good in the price range you have set.

Not knowing what type of Preamp you have or if it has a phono preamp built in you may have to go for turntable with a moving magnet cartridge that would have enough output to drive the preamp. With the moving magnet in the turntables below. I would ask the question about needing a phono preamp.

If you don't have enough output or a phone preamp that built in then you're looking at the additional cost of a phono preamp and cables.

Here are two from Music Direct(I have not financial interest in them by the way).

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/73927

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/74202

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/72052

Sometimes you can pickup a good deal on Audiogon or Craigs List for the like an older VPI TT

HiFi is a pretty slippery slope when it comes to getting good quality and the law of diminishing returns applies to the equipment and sound. The more you pay doesn't mean that you will get a corresponding increase in sound.

If you just want to experiment to see if you want to get back into vinyl or have old record one of these three will do the trick.

Those are my thoughts for what they are worth.

John
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008   #50

Exclamation Re: Turntable shopping.. any help?

I would like to remind everyone, to support your right to copy anything you own and give it to a friend!

Jeremy

The Kipnis Studios
www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Video Calibration Labs
www.VideoCalibration.com

Epiphany Recordings Ltd.
www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

----------

KSS DL.TV Video Feature (NEW)
http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki...TV_-_6_08.html
The Kipnis Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #51
AVB

Default Re: Turntable shopping.. any help?

And what right would that be?

I know you can copy anything you own for personal archive but giving away copies does not fit within that framework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kipnis Studios View Post
I would like to remind everyone, to support your right to copy anything you own and give it to a friend!
AVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #52
wes

Cool Re: Turntable shopping.. any help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk View Post
Wes, There are a number of TT's that you can get through online dealers such as AudioAdvisor, MusicDirect, Acoustic Sounds and KAS that will sound good in the price range you have set.

Not knowing what type of Preamp you have or if it has a phono preamp built in you may have to go for turntable with a moving magnet cartridge that would have enough output to drive the preamp. With the moving magnet in the turntables below. I would ask the question about needing a phono preamp.

If you don't have enough output or a phone preamp that built in then you're looking at the additional cost of a phono preamp and cables.

Here are two from Music Direct(I have not financial interest in them by the way).

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/73927

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/74202

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/72052

Sometimes you can pickup a good deal on Audiogon or Craigs List for the like an older VPI TT

HiFi is a pretty slippery slope when it comes to getting good quality and the law of diminishing returns applies to the equipment and sound. The more you pay doesn't mean that you will get a corresponding increase in sound.

If you just want to experiment to see if you want to get back into vinyl or have old record one of these three will do the trick.

Those are my thoughts for what they are worth.

John
Thank you John, This is most helpfull, I am looking to buy the Classé SSP-800 when they upgrade it to support the new codec DD True HD and DTS HD-Master Audio. I beleive the Classé has a a phono preamp built in but I am not sure?
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008   #53

Exclamation Copyright Regulations for copying music programs, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVB View Post
And what right would that be?

I know you can copy anything you own for personal archive but giving away copies does not fit within that framework.
There is a very specific copyright framework in place:

According to the RIAA, You may (in addition to archiving for yourself) give away a personal copy of a musical performance (CD, LP, etc.) that you own on an individual basis to friends and family with the understanding that you are sharing something you own for reasons of mutual knowledge and experience.

That copy cannot be copied by your friends or family members and given away, again, becuase that is a violation of copyright law.

You also may not make copies and hand them out to any and everybody, willy-nilly.

Jeremy

The Kipnis Studios
www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Video Calibration Labs
www.VideoCalibration.com

Epiphany Recordings Ltd.
www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

----------

KSS DL.TV Video Feature (NEW)
http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki...TV_-_6_08.html
The Kipnis Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #54
AVB

Default Re: Copyright Regulations for copying music programs, etc.

I am fairly familiar with the RIAA stance and have never seen anything about the "friends and family" portion of your statement. A quick look at their website didn't revel anything except:

"The copy is just for your personal use. It’s not a personal use – in fact, it’s illegal – to give away the copy or lend it to others for copying."

And their hard-line stance on even personal copying even though the courts have ruled against this in the case of personal use:

"If you make unauthorized copies of copyrighted music recordings, you're stealing. You're breaking the law and you could be held legally liable for thousands of dollars in damages."

17 USC 1008 is the appropriate statute for this and it makes no mention of "friends and family"

Please point me towards your support for your statement when you get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kipnis Studios View Post
There is a very specific copyright framework in place:

According to the RIAA, You may (in addition to archiving for yourself) give away a personal copy of a musical performance (CD, LP, etc.) that you own on an individual basis to friends and family with the understanding that you are sharing something you own for reasons of mutual knowledge and experience.

That copy cannot be copied by your friends or family members and given away, again, becuase that is a violation of copyright law.

You also may not make copies and hand them out to any and everybody, willy-nilly.
AVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
avid, craigslist, diva, fremer, frog, ii, jersey, marantz, review, satellite, scout, sota, tt15, turntable, vandenhull, vpi, vs