Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > Vinyl

Vinyl Long live the LP. Post topics about LPs, players, setup and more.

Old 09-03-2008   #43

Default Re: Turntable shopping.. any help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
I am asking for a turn table not a Record Cleaning Machine!!!
Wes,

<$500 is a small market for TT's, remember, depending on what AV Preamp you need you might also need a Phono preamp.

Project makes some budget table for that price, you could also get a KAS modded TEchnics 1200, (old DJ TT) that are well rated, but remember you will need other things, cleaning brush, possibly anti-static gun......
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #44

Quote:
I am asking for a turn table not a Record Cleaning Machine!!!
wes,

Sorry, you misread my response. The "<$400" and that entire post was for a record cleaning machine. I don't believe you can get a truly special vinyl experience for less than $1500 at the least (a VPI Scout or similar), although you can certainly enjoy vinyl for less. So you are correct - when you are shooting for a really great vinyl experience (no mis-tracking of the inner grooves, tactile sound, very low record noise, and detail combined with warmth), you are looking at $2k or so, all in w/ cartridge and phono preamp.

I could be totally wrong - I've never had the chance to hear some of the less pricey tables that are proliferating nowadays, and I am keenly aware of what I don't know, which is a lot!
meatyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #45
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatyb0y View Post
wes, Sorry, you misread my response. The "<$400" and that entire post was for a record cleaning machine. I don't believe you can get a truly special vinyl experience for less than $1500 at the least (a VPI Scout or similar), although you can certainly enjoy vinyl for less. So you are correct - when you are shooting for a really great vinyl experience (no mis-tracking of the inner grooves, tactile sound, very low record noise, and detail combined with warmth), you are looking at $2k or so, all in w/ cartridge and phono preamp. I could be totally wrong - I've never had the chance to hear some of the less pricey tables that are proliferating nowadays, and I am keenly aware of what I don't know, which is a lot!
Well I am not sure I am ready to embark in this as I would need to buy new albums as well my music server is so convenient, may be in twenty years when I retire
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #46

Quote:
Well I am not sure I am ready to embark in this as I would need to buy new albums as well my music server is so convenient, may be in twenty years when I retire
I don't know wes, I went to a local music store and bought many albums for $2.99 each, at that price, it's pretty cheap to build a library...
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #47

Quote:
Again, I hear you. I must admit to an abiding affection for my LP12 - It's been with me since I was 17, and has been lovingly maintained and upgraded every since, over the past 21 years. Aside from some records I found in my parents' garage, I don't think I've owned anything longer.

I too love using a music server. It's interesting the different way I personally listen with both of these technologies though. With vinyl, I tend to put it on and listen all the way through both sides of a record. Of course this is only partly because it sounds so good - it's also because it's a hassle to get up and change tracks or change the record after only one side! But the point is that I end up listening deeper into a particular record and tend to look at it as a whole.

With a music server, I end up browsing for something and playing it, but then finding all kinds of other stuff and saying "man, haven't heard THAT in a long time! Let's play that next". So I end up skipping all over the place, going shallower into a given recording, but much deeper into that artist's work or across more artists work than I would w/ vinyl or cd.

There is a time and mood for both, that's for certain, so I am very happy to see some truly outstanding music servers showing up now...In fact, my next purchase will no doubt be a Linn Akurate DS.
meatyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #48
AVB

And here I was thinking I was the only one to have all 4 versions of Freak Out, not counting the white and yellow label promos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Well, I still have all my old (and likely roached) vinyl from my youth in my parent home back in NJ, some great stuff including the entire Frank Zappa collection through 1985 unopened, and I do mean ALL of them!
AVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
avid, craigslist, diva, fremer, frog, ii, jersey, marantz, review, satellite, scout, sota, tt15, turntable, vandenhull, vpi, vs