Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > Vinyl

Vinyl Long live the LP. Post topics about LPs, players, setup and more.

Old 07-03-2008   #25

Default Re: Turntable shopping.. any help?

Thanks jbk,

I looked at VPI, and have thought about that route as well, I guess I have to balance where I want to be.

Do/will I LOVE vinyl so much I never want to let go? If so, I want something I won't need to upgrade, but if I don't...
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #26

Well, it's been a while, and my pursuit of a TT is still on. I have acquired a Marantz TT15, which is basically a modified Clear Audio Emotion with Ebony arm and Virtuoso wood cart, and am running it through a Dynavector P75 Mk II Phono preamp in my bedroom and have been really enjoying it!

I got the rig set up a few days ago, and have been really digging going through old vinyl, cleaning it first of course and spinning disks again.

I knew of several stores for vinyl in my area, but a good google search revealed something I never would have expected.....

The largest records store in the country with over 3,000,000 records is like 7 miles from my home!!!!!!! I can't wait to go there Saturday morning and go nuts shopping for new/old material for my collection.

I am still trying to decide if vinyl is something I will want forever, thus the entry level table for a start, but so far all indications are good and I am still looking at an Avid (an Acutus with SME V arm just showed up on A'gon for ~$10K, but I am not yet ready to make that jump, but the deal is really tempting...)
Old 08-29-2008   #27
wes

Cool Re: Turntable shopping.. any help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I am still trying to decide if vinyl is something I will want forever, thus the entry level table for a start, but so far all indications are good and I am still looking at an Avid (an Acutus with SME V arm just showed up on A'gon for ~$10K, but I am not yet ready to make that jump, but the deal is really tempting...)
Beside the fact that vinyl is stuck in the past and good SACD DSD are still better sound than vinyl.

One of the major issue to a good vinyl turntable with arm and so on is that it cost north of 10K. No thanks it is a bit too pricey for my blood. I would rather get a new SACD player like the new Sony SCD-XA5400ES for $1500 and enjoy multichannel audio.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=31088
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #28

I don't know, I have been enjoying spinning vinyl again, and am going shopping for more records tomorrow AM. I am kind of kicking myself for NOT buying that TT for $10K, the Acutus is $16K list and the SME V arm is another $5K, so it was a great deal but just bad timing....
Old 08-29-2008   #29

Talking Too Many Turntables to Choose From!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I don't know, I have been enjoying spinning vinyl again, and am going shopping for more records tomorrow AM. I am kind of kicking myself for NOT buying that TT for $10K, the Acutus is $16K list and the SME V arm is another $5K, so it was a great deal but just bad timing....
The real point is . . . just to relax and enjoy yourself!

Jeremy

The Kipnis Studios
www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Video Calibration Labs
www.VideoCalibration.com

Epiphany Recordings Ltd.
www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

----------

KSS DL.TV Video Feature (NEW)
http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki...TV_-_6_08.html
The Kipnis Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #30

Default Re: Too Many Turntables to Choose From!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kipnis Studios View Post
The real point is . . . just to relax and enjoy yourself!
Ahhhh and I have been!

My 18 year old step daughter gave me Led Zeppelin Presence (my favorite LZ album) and the first Rush album as well as Big Brother and the Holding Co. to add to my collection the other day.

Pretty cool that a kid her age had such excellent taste in albums!
Sponsored Links

Tags
avid, craigslist, diva, fremer, frog, ii, jersey, marantz, review, satellite, scout, sota, tt15, turntable, vandenhull, vpi, vs