Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > Vinyl

Vinyl Long live the LP. Post topics about LPs, players, setup and more.

Old 06-16-2008   #13

Default Re: Turntable shopping.. any help?

The Pro-Ject line of tables from Sumiko have always been a good starting point. Rega is also very nice. However, the Linn Sondek (spelling?) 12 is about as good as it gets and is still affordable in many ways compared to higher priced tables.

I heard a demo of Grand Prix Audio's (yes the rack maker) table and it is AWESOME. Not sure if its 20+ grand awesome but good none the less. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on McIntosh's latest table. I know, I know. But I like their gear even though I don't think its particularly sexy looking. For two channel audio McIntosh is my cup of tea sonically.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #14

Of course this would mean upgrading my Hovland HP100 tube line stage with their killer phono card. What a tragedy.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
Old 06-16-2008   #15

Andrew,

If you were treated the way Bryan Southard and I were by Sumiko at their booth at CEDIA - you would never mention their name in print again. Simply rude. Insulting to the publication etc...

I don't care if they have a turntable that can turn vinyl into analog master tape - I would invest my money elsewhere on the argument that if JP Lizars (someone I have known for years) has the balls to treat the PRESS as badly as he treated Bryan Southard and I - then why would ANYONE expect better as a consumer.

Buyer beware.

And note: I LOVE Sonus Faber speakers in terms of sound.
Old 06-16-2008   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson_A View Post
Of course this would mean upgrading my Hovland HP100 tube line stage with their killer phono card. What a tragedy.
I was thinking of going one up to the HP200 which has HT passthrough and a remote as well as the phono stage.... Costs a bit more (like twice) but....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #17

HP200 on Audiogon are very favorable in terms of price. Hovland stuff is built like a brick#$%house so don't fret the second hand market. Plus, Hovland takes care of their customers second hand or not. You can't go wrong with the HP line of preamps. I want the RADIA or Sapphire amp to compliment my HP100 but the movie is sucking up my spare $$$.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
Old 06-17-2008   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson_A View Post
I want the RADIA or Sapphire amp to compliment my HP100 but the movie is sucking up my spare $$$.
I thought you'd go with the Stratos!

I am considering the HP200 as I am starting to think the only way to really get HT and two channel is to run a two channel pre and use the passthrough (zero gain stage) to bypass the pre during HT use.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
avid, craigslist, diva, fremer, frog, ii, jersey, marantz, review, satellite, scout, sota, tt15, turntable, vandenhull, vpi, vs