Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > Vinyl

Vinyl Long live the LP. Post topics about LPs, players, setup and more.

Old 11-17-2008   #67

Cool Re: Turntable shopping.. any help?

It's ironic that we're discussing TT gear with price tags upwards of $10K, and at the same time we go bargain binning for vinyl that sells for an average of $1 each and is rarely pristine. Not that I'm dissing used vinyl, ha ha! But I decided to buy used hardware to match the software. So I bought a 20-year old Harmon-Kardan manual deck, a "slightly-used" Grace F-9 MM cart with several ruby-tipped stylii and a new Parasound preamp. It does sound pretty amazing, and cost less that $600 for all.

-
GrtGrfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #68
wes

Default Re: Turntable shopping.. any help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtGrfx View Post
It's ironic that we're discussing TT gear with price tags upwards of $10K, and at the same time we go bargain binning for vinyl that sells for an average of $1 each and is rarely pristine. Not that I'm dissing used vinyl, ha ha! But I decided to buy used hardware to match the software. So I bought a 20-year old Harmon-Kardan manual deck, a "slightly-used" Grace F-9 MM cart with several ruby-tipped stylii and a new Parasound preamp. It does sound pretty amazing, and cost less that $600 for all.
Cool, hey we all like a good deal
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtGrfx View Post
I bought a VPI HW16.5 and have been getting great results from $1 records, in fact some sound near perfect after a good cleaning. I try to use the VPI when I first buy them and then just use a carbon fiber brush for touch ups before playing and have been really getting great sound from a lot of my budget buys! Sure, some are roached and unsaveable, but for $1 you have to expect that!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #70

Thumbs up Re: Turntable shopping.. any help?

Is great to hear you guys enjoying your records. Wonderful!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008   #71

Kennyt...did you find a 'table yet?

I currently own a VPI scoutmaster w/stock arm and Grado ref cartridge and have stellar results with it through my Mac gear. However, if you haven't snagged one yet try to get out and listen to the new Linn Majik LP12. I had heard one recently with the Pro Ject carbon fiber arm it comes with and the stock Linn cartridge and it was real impressive...REAL impressive. It won't break the bank at around $3500-4000 all included and it really does have alot of that great old Sondek LP12 sound going I thought.
nedrudrelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009   #72

Kenny,
I took your recommendation on the Audi AV rack. I just assembled mine and it is beyound expectations. I too am looking for a turntable to spin some virgin vinyl recordings that I have kept. What did you decide on a turntable?
Jeff
spinesite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
avid, craigslist, diva, fremer, frog, ii, jersey, marantz, review, satellite, scout, sota, tt15, turntable, vandenhull, vpi, vs