Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vinyl (http://www.avrev.com/forum/vinyl-7/)
-   -   Cleaning machines - VPI HW-16.5 (http://www.avrev.com/forum/vinyl/1574-cleaning-machines-vpi-hw-16-5-a.html)

pws442 02-14-2008 04:40 PM

Cleaning machines - VPI HW-16.5

My wife wants to kill me! I'm thinking of buying a $540 record cleaning machine.

I just bought a turntable (MUSIC HALL - MMF-2.1 LE FERRARI RED TURNTABLE) to play albums I haven't played since I bought my first CD player in '84. Hooked it up yesterday, and IT WAS WONDERFUL! The Fantasia album was too scratchy, but the newest of the 3 copies of Led Zeppelin V that I have was really, really fun to listen to (Denon 3808CI).

So, I see an ad for this cleaner: VPI HW-16.5. Lots of good reviews, makes a lot of noise, consumables can get pricey... I have about 10 linear feet of records, and I could really get used to giving them a spin now and then.

Any comments?

kennyt 02-14-2008 04:52 PM

Re: Cleaning machines - VPI HW-16.5

I've always heard it was worth every cent. Congrats on the new TT!

deacongreg 02-15-2008 02:23 PM

pws442,

Way to go on the new turntable. Buying that cleaner is the best thing you can do for your records. Go hug your wife. This brings back memories of the Nitty Gritty record cleaners from years ago. And if you were on a budget, Discwasher and The Last record cleaner.

Congratulations!!!

pws442 02-16-2008 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deacongreg (Post 11377)
Go hug your wife.

I did... And, I purchased the VPI HW-165P1 Package deal from ElusiveDisc.com. Included 100 sleeves, extra brush and mat, and a couple bottles of stuff.

While I was there, I purchased a couple of 180g records: Aja and DSOTM. Good credit is a terrible burden!

Should get it Wednesday. I'll try it on the Fantasia and HOTH albums I played the other day.

deacongreg 02-18-2008 11:15 AM

Great,

I`m looking forward to hear how everything sounds. Aja by Steely Dan, a great lp. Great players on that lp. Including Joe Sample of the Crusaders fame.

pws442 02-22-2008 05:10 PM

Got the new virgin vinyl, and Aja sounds excellent. Gonna get to DSOTM this weekend. Also used the VP1 HW-16.5 record cleaning machine as well. I think it did a great job cleaning up the 3 discs in the Fantasia collection I have had since the Earth cooled.

Whereas before, I could not continue listening to Side 1 (of 6), it is not bad now. I don't want to imply that there are no scratches, but the hissing is certainly gone, and the scratches are quite minimized.

The comments about the cleaning machine having excessive noise were unfounded. Really simple to use. I cleaned 6 discs (12 sides), and then drained the fluid. Not a lot, but it was definitely dirty!

The package that I purchased comes with additional cleaning/deep-cleaning fluids. I will be seeing how that works as well.

All-in-all, I am very happy with the cleaning machine!