Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > Vinyl

Vinyl Long live the LP. Post topics about LPs, players, setup and more.

Old 06-22-2009   #43

Default Re: CD vs Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
On the back of a CD you will usually see a rectangular box marked AAD, ADD, or DDD.
That's all fine, but no matter which way it's recorded, it still won't compare to an SACD, DVD-AUDIO, or a in good condition LP, it's still inferior. Much like in the 80's you had LP, CD, and Cassette tape, no matter how good the cassette tape is, it still wouldn't compare.
drumhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhobo View Post
That's all fine, but no matter which way it's recorded, it still won't compare to an SACD, DVD-AUDIO, or a in good condition LP, it's still inferior. Much like in the 80's you had LP, CD, and Cassette tape, no matter how good the cassette tape is, it still wouldn't compare.
That may be true for CDs vs LPs that were essentially AAA (I know they don't rate LPs this way) but for a LP that was a hypothetical DDA or DAA the LP probably won't be any better or as good even than the CD.

I think LPs end times are near because of the overwhelming difference in market force for CDs and downloads. Next generation may all be mp3 zombies.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhobo View Post
Comparing CD's to multichannel audio is like comparing a BMW to a Kenworth Truck. Not the same thing at all and not in the same league. This thread is about CD vs. LP not multichannel analog or digital audio.
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #46

Best thing to do is use your ears: you need a (very) good CD player and a (very) good turntable+cartridge {I have both} and listen to the same piece-in parallel; since I didn't believe it, I repeated the experiment with different recordings (Keith Jarret, Koln concert/Bach, Cembalo concerts-Leonhardt//Jony Mitchell, Blue): the net result is: they are on different planets; the LP contains so much more information that really there is no match; this happened with every CD player: less with the Chord64 (which is really astounding for a DAC) than with the Linn, but no match either. It has to be said that you need a good phono pre, since modern pres have a much higher acceptance so you don't hear any more most of the scratches and hisses that were the horrible contour of most LPs. And yes, I also did some comparisons with DVD audios: Lp's were always better (sometimes more, sometimes less). But of course there are the advantages of CDs : the remote, changing tracks while sitting in your armchair, the dead silence of the background...; and one last problem, that many pointed to: it all depends on the recording; with a good turntable you get what's there is: and good recordings are less than 10% ot total recordings (if you have a heavily mixed recording, all messed up and artificial, you don't need an audiophile apparatus to listen to the noise of the mixer!).
So I'd like to make a point: get LPs for audiophile recordings, where you may appreciate all the subtleties (and the real dynamics), and get CD's (or DVDs or BRs) for all other recordings.
paoloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paoloop View Post
Best thing to do is use your ears: you need a (very) good CD player and a (very) good turntable+cartridge {I have both} and listen to the same piece-in parallel; since I didn't believe it, I repeated the experiment with different recordings (Keith Jarret, Koln concert/Bach, Cembalo concerts-Leonhardt//Jony Mitchell, Blue): the net result is: they are on different planets; the LP contains so much more information that really there is no match; this happened with every CD player: less with the Chord64 (which is really astounding for a DAC) than with the Linn, but no match either. It has to be said that you need a good phono pre, since modern pres have a much higher acceptance so you don't hear any more most of the scratches and hisses that were the horrible contour of most LPs. And yes, I also did some comparisons with DVD audios: Lp's were always better (sometimes more, sometimes less). But of course there are the advantages of CDs : the remote, changing tracks while sitting in your armchair, the dead silence of the background...; and one last problem, that many pointed to: it all depends on the recording; with a good turntable you get what's there is: and good recordings are less than 10% ot total recordings (if you have a heavily mixed recording, all messed up and artificial, you don't need an audiophile apparatus to listen to the noise of the mixer!).
So I'd like to make a point: get LPs for audiophile recordings, where you may appreciate all the subtleties (and the real dynamics), and get CD's (or DVDs or BRs) for all other recordings.
First, welcome to the forum.

Not sure what is meant by and the real dynamics. The potential dynamic range of CDs is considerably better than LPs even though it is rarely used. But maybe you meant something else.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
First, welcome to the forum.

Not sure what is meant by and the real dynamics. The potential dynamic range of CDs is considerably better than LPs even though it is rarely used. But maybe you meant something else.
You know i have a Jolida CD player with a Tube at the out, and it really does smooth out the sound of the CD. But I also have a high end SACD player, it sounds like an LP, smooth, full, amazing. Then my CLearAudio Champion Limited Turntable with the Virtuoso Wood Stylus with a good LP, WOW!

I play all this though my Jolida Tube amp, and even though Jolida is a lower priced item, it really does sound amazing, and our ears are meant to hear in Analogue anyway, not digital.
drumhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, cd, cds, compact, comparison, difference, disc, forum, lossless, quality, ray, sound, versus, vinyl, vs