Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > Vinyl

Vinyl Long live the LP. Post topics about LPs, players, setup and more.

Old 06-19-2009   #37
Administrator

Default Re: CD vs Vinyl

The point I was trying to make is as more of the original recordings are made with digital recording equipment, there won't be analog copies of those. Thus making a vinyl LP from those digital recordings will not be the same.

What you are talking about are existing LPs that were made from high quality analog recording equipment, I suppose, but that is fast becoming a thing of the past.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
The point I was trying to make is as more of the original recordings are made with digital recording equipment, there won't be analog copies of those. Thus making a vinyl LP from those digital recordings will not be the same.

What you are talking about are existing LPs that were made from high quality analog recording equipment, I suppose, but that is fast becoming a thing of the past.
I don't know if this is true, but I have heard that a lot of bands are going back to recording in Analogue, if that's try then it may get better. Well except that there really isn't any good new music, or bands. They are all weak copies of the originals from the 60's and 70's
drumhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhobo View Post
I don't know if this is true, but I have heard that a lot of bands are going back to recording in Analogue, if that's try then it may get better. Well except that there really isn't any good new music, or bands. They are all weak copies of the originals from the 60's and 70's
Sounds like if you are able to get LPs of the originals from the 60's and 70's, you will be set!
Old 06-21-2009   #40

Post Re: CD vs Vinyl

It all depends on the quality (sampling rate) of the digital-to-analog converter. (DAC or D-to-A) is a device for converting a digital (usually binary) code to an analog signal.

An LP is the highest quality format because it does not have to sample and convert sounds via an analog-to-digital converter (ADC), and thus, back to (DAC) analog again.

-And-

SPARS is an acronym for the Society of Professional Audio Recording Services. The SPARS code is a three-letter code that appears on some Compact Disc recordings telling the consumer whether analog (A) or digital (D) equipment was used in producing the recording.
turkman143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009   #41
Administrator

Welcome to the forum turkman. That info will answer some questions for sure.
Old 06-21-2009   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkman143 View Post
It all depends on the quality (sampling rate) of the digital-to-analog converter. (DAC or D-to-A) is a device for converting a digital (usually binary) code to an analog signal.

An LP is the highest quality format because it does not have to sample and convert sounds via an analog-to-digital converter (ADC), and thus, back to (DAC) analog again.

-And-

SPARS is an acronym for the Society of Professional Audio Recording Services. The SPARS code is a three-letter code that appears on some Compact Disc recordings telling the consumer whether analog (A) or digital (D) equipment was used in producing the recording.
On the back of a CD you will usually see a rectangular box marked AAD, ADD, or DDD.
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, cd, cds, compact, comparison, difference, disc, forum, lossless, quality, ray, sound, versus, vinyl, vs