Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > Vinyl

Vinyl Long live the LP. Post topics about LPs, players, setup and more.

Old 06-17-2009   #31

Question Re: CD vs Vinyl

Digiphobes will always claim LPs sound better than any digital media including SACD and DVDA, despite these two being virtually reference master quality.If a record was mastered analog, then the a near mint LP played on even a modest turntable like my Rega P2 should sound better.But if it was mastered digitally then everything changes.No LP can match a DVDA played on a first rate player because the so called "infinite resolution" digiphobes claim just isn't there.DVDA and SACD will give you essentially whatever was on the master. This continuing debate was relevant 15 years ago but now it makes little sense.It reminds me of video digiphobes that claimed their Laserdiscs were better than DVDs.How did that argument turn out?
crazyears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009   #32

Talking Re: CD vs Vinyl

First you guys have to read the question CD vs Vinyl, not SACD, or DVD-Audio, CD, so let's answer the question CD does not even come close to comparing to Vinyl. The human ear is meant to hear in Analogue, not Digital, plus Vinyl is recorded with the highs, and lows. The reason we needed SACD, and DVD-Audio was because CD's were missing pieces of the music each stair step of the 0, and 1's you loose a little bit. Plus the equipment they used did not get the highs, and lows. SACD, and DVD-Audio are the digital equivalent of Vinyl, or pretty close anyway.
drumhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009   #33
Administrator

Default Re: CD vs Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhobo View Post
First you guys have to read the question CD vs Vinyl, not SACD, or DVD-Audio, CD, so let's answer the question CD does not even come close to comparing to Vinyl. The human ear is meant to hear in Analogue, not Digital, plus Vinyl is recorded with the highs, and lows. The reason we needed SACD, and DVD-Audio was because CD's were missing pieces of the music each stair step of the 0, and 1's you loose a little bit. Plus the equipment they used did not get the highs, and lows. SACD, and DVD-Audio are the digital equivalent of Vinyl, or pretty close anyway.
That may be true for most people, but as more of the original recordings go to digital, analog becomes less effective.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #34

As I have posted in other forums/threads....
I'm an ass when it comes to low-noise so vinyl no longer cuts it.
Overall, way too much background crap offsets any perceived benefit from the format.
750 Sig's/200/300's/UFW-10, Rotel 1065, Toshiba DVD-9200, AA DDS-Pro, P1a(SOCS)/P3a level2/P3b level 1 (P1/P3 EA'd), BPT 2.5 Ultra, QSymphony Pro, Sennheiser HD600/Equinox, GSP Solo,Xfeed, 20a dedicated circuit, 8thNerve
Ronm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #35

Low surface noise is not a problem for me.An occasional snap,crackle,pop isn't so bad.But some LPs were reproduced like crap.I remember when I got my Songs To The Key Of Life lp.It has continuous raspy noise throughout both disks.Its infuriating and I've only listened to this marvelous album a handful of times.But in truth,if you can't stand an occasional click I don't see how you can stand to listen to live music.A rock concert has boisterous people yelling,screaming and singing off key.A jazz club has people talking,glasses clinking,etc. Even classical venues has the guy with the flu coughing,a mom shushing her bored kids,the snob telling his date why the soloist is playing the piece the wrong way.Yet I pretty much ignore it all.I try to do the same with vinyl.But admittedly sometimes the noise just gets too much in the way.
crazyears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
That may be true for most people, but as more of the original recordings go to digital, analog becomes less effective.
Well it is true that if the LP is not kept in good shape, or you listening on some cheap turntable, or a bad Stylus. But if your listening on good equipment, and a good Stylus through good equipment then there is no comparison.

IF you listen to an SACD through a cheap player, it will blow away a CD through a good player, or a DVD-AUDIO will blow away a CD.

Example at the CES show Esoteric had a CD set up to try to get it to sound good like an LP they had the player hooked in to Two DAC's one for each chanel, and then Two clocks to correct the zero, and ones. This was about a $60,000.00 set up, just to make a CD sound good. That didn't incude the amps, or speakers.

Now I can take a Clearaudio turntable, of which I have one, and put it through a very good Tube Amp. with their high end stylus and get as good a sound.
drumhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, cd, cds, compact, comparison, difference, disc, forum, lossless, quality, ray, sound, versus, vinyl, vs