Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > Vinyl

Vinyl Long live the LP. Post topics about LPs, players, setup and more.

Old 09-27-2007   #19

Smile Re: CD vs Vinyl

There is no question that I miss vinyl. Especially, when it was a 2 record album, more liner notes, pictures, 2 records to take out and clean!! I actually enjoyed using discwasher!! Though my friends thought I was crazy!! Music has changed to digital.And it has improved significantly since the 80`s.
And though i miss vinyl, I`ve been embracing digital, especially with SACD and DVD - A.
Maybe the new combo players will bring us where we need to go.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #20

Default Re: CD vs Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
Find me 25 SACD and DVD-Audio discs you might want to buy and I would fall over in shock. There just aren't any released.
I'm a brand new member here, but in response to the above quote: just log onto Telarc's website and click onto the SACD section and start counting. There are far more than 25 there that I want myself.

I fairly recently got into SACD's (2-channel only) with a purchase of the remarkable Marantz SA-8001 SACD player. My purpose in buying it was largely the outstanding reviews it had received for standard, "redbook" CD playback, and I regarded the fact that it also played SACD's as purely secondary.

After purchasing a handful of SACD's (mostly Telarc, and in particular, remasters of older Telarc recordings originally done via the Soundstream digital tape recorder), I have to give the SACD format a very, very big thumbs up. To my ears (and to those of Telarc's engineers, as well as other recording company's engineers) SACD has no peer. Insofar as DVD-A, even Telarc has abandoned that format in favor of the SACD, which they believe to be superior.
emaidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #21

SACD is awesome, and fortunately for you you are interested in classical, but for those of us who are ignorant of that genre, we are left out in the cold in this format.

You are right, they sound great, but I am starting to think I need a good TT and phono preamp as well as two channel preamp fused into my HT rig for good sound.....

Sometimes to go forward you have to go back!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #22

Smile Re: CD vs Vinyl

kenny, and for anyone else out there, for a while now, Telarc was pretty much a classical only label. But now they have Headsup International, their Jazz label. They have a great selection of artists, as well as great Jazz SACD`s and Enhanced cds. Those of you who like Jazz as well, like myself, should really like the music.

Check it out for yourselves.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #23

I am 59 years old this year, and have been listening to music on vinyl most of those years.
I have a great CD playback system, which I enjoy immensely, a Cambridge Audio 640cv2.
My vinyl system consists of an LP-12 fitted with the Grace 909 tonearm (long discontinued), a Sumiko BPS EVO2, feeding a ProJect Tube Box into an Onkyo Pre-Pro(line in)SC-885, into a Jolida tube amp for my main channels.
Vinyl, to me, sounds more open and enjoyable, as it seems to convery something to me a CD cannot. It has a sonic "rightness" to it, something elusive with CD. A large part of the experience is the work involved to listen, and makes me to do something to get that experience: cleaning, adjusting, etc.
I have read it's the "barbeque of music", as getting there is as important as the result.
The LP's flaws, and they are there, can be called disengaged from the music, and put aside, while the flaws of CD (they are there, as well) seem to be integrated into the thread of the music, embedded forever.
I immensely enjoy playing records, and will continue to do so till my last day.
So, all my vinyl friends, growing leaps and bounds, yearly, "Enjoy"!
Mike
mecolwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #24
Administrator

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of people who share your sentiments. Think CDs have flaws, you need to stay completely away from mp3s!
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, cd, cds, compact, comparison, difference, disc, forum, lossless, quality, ray, sound, versus, vinyl, vs