Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > High Resolution Music: CD, SACD, DVD-Audio and more > Vinyl

Vinyl Long live the LP. Post topics about LPs, players, setup and more.

Old 08-09-2007   #7

Default Re: CD vs Vinyl

Anyone that thinks that CDs are far inferior has not listened to the latest crop of CD players. I recently purchased a Classe CDP-202. It blows away older players and makes a real case for Red Book CDs. With the best recordings, (I like the new Linn releases) the Classe CD player sounds very realistic: detailed, well fleshed out harmonics, smooth, and musical. I believe the Classe CD player could hold its own against any turntable. And, the Classe player is even (somewhat) reasonably priced.
dwbattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007   #8

Analog master tape is INCREDIBLE.

LPs, even on the best systems I have heard (Linn LP12's and Goldmund reference) can not compete with the best in digital ESPECIALLY natice DSD SACDs and top DVD-Audio releases.

The trick to me is having enough digital information to make an "analogus" sound to the real musical event and or the master tape. How does 50 GB sound from a Blu-ray? Should we start a letter writing campaign to Sony Music?

Where I think vinyl is important is in volume of music. You can collect and love music on LP in ways that are far more meaningful. Assuming you can still find a record store near you (Aaron's is gone, Amoeba is gone, The Record Collector is gone - all in LA) the idea of a $2 LP that can sound warm, real and EMOTIONALLY ENGAGING is a REALLY cool idea. Find me 25 SACD and DVD-Audio discs you might want to buy and I would fall over in shock. There just aren't any released. THUS the importance of TOP players from Classe, Meridian and many other companies that have honed the art of CD playback.
Old 08-13-2007   #9

Ameba isn't gone. I drive by it every day and it is still quite there. Aaron's is gone, I know because my company bought their building. It's now our internet marketing and design group. I tried to get them to keep the sign but they wouldn't so a guy from my office bought the old Aaron's neon sign. Tower is gone. Just FYI...

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #10

Thumbs up Re: CD vs Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
Analog master tape is INCREDIBLE.

LPs, even on the best systems I have heard (Linn LP12's and Goldmund reference) can not compete with the best in digital ESPECIALLY natice DSD SACDs and top DVD-Audio releases.

The trick to me is having enough digital information to make an "analogus" sound to the real musical event and or the master tape. How does 50 GB sound from a Blu-ray? Should we start a letter writing campaign to Sony Music?

Where I think vinyl is important is in volume of music. You can collect and love music on LP in ways that are far more meaningful. Assuming you can still find a record store near you (Aaron's is gone, Amoeba is gone, The Record Collector is gone - all in LA) the idea of a $2 LP that can sound warm, real and EMOTIONALLY ENGAGING is a REALLY cool idea. Find me 25 SACD and DVD-Audio discs you might want to buy and I would fall over in shock. There just aren't any released. THUS the importance of TOP players from Classe, Meridian and many other companies that have honed the art of CD playback.
I love vinyl, will always love vinyl. Same story here in New York, Tower records, gone. Dayton Records, gone. HMV, and almost all Sam Goodys, gone. Now, I have not heard those DSD`s and SACDs/DVD - As you are talking about, and do not doubt that you are right in their reproduction of sound.
I remember my friends Sony reel to reel machines, the Revox machines, absolutely gorgeous analog tape sound.
In fact, and kennyt heard them to, the room with the TAD HOME AUDIO speakers, used analog master tapes to demo music. One of the best sounds of the show.
So much life and air in the music
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007   #11

This will never be settled for many people.

I have nearly all formats covered and enjoy them so that is not an issue.

Whether it's audio or video we trade analog flaws for digital flaws. Analog flaws can be tweaked to a certain point and that's it. Digital flaws are where the efforts are being applied and paying off.

Vinyl replaced by CD
Laserdiscs replaced by DVD
DVD replaced by Blue-Ray/HD-DVD
Reason replaced by emotion
timbre4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007   #12

Smile Re: CD vs Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbre4 View Post
This will never be settled for many people.

I have nearly all formats covered and enjoy them so that is not an issue.

Whether it's audio or video we trade analog flaws for digital flaws. Analog flaws can be tweaked to a certain point and that's it. Digital flaws are where the efforts are being applied and paying off.

Vinyl replaced by CD
Laserdiscs replaced by DVD
DVD replaced by Blue-Ray/HD-DVD
Reason replaced by emotion
I like how you put that together. But emotion, the feeling we get from music, is why we are having these discussions. In fact, the air, ambience, the character if you will, that had us all obviously loving analog/vinyl, still, seems to be missing, to a lesser degree with digital, and cd.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, cd, cds, compact, comparison, difference, disc, forum, lossless, quality, ray, sound, versus, vinyl, vs