Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Video Projectors

Video Projectors Talk projectors, screens, technology and more.

Old 11-03-2007   #19

Default Re: Sony VPL VW50 "Pearl" 1080p Projector Review

David -

you would LOVE that Epson. I am VERY impressed with its performance at ANY price let alone $3999.
Old 11-09-2007   #20

The Sony projector to have now is the Bravia VPL-VW200. The follow up to the "Ruby". It has 120Hz and MotionFlow technology (a personal favorite) as well as an Anamorphic lens setting for those of us who lust after the CineCurve screens. While the "Black Pearl" is a great projector the VW200 is such a huge step up. It is the Qualia 004 to the once mighty "Ruby". I have requested one for review and will buy the review unit as soon as it arrives. For sale: One Sony Pearl projector as soon as my VW200 shows up.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #21

Quote:
The Sony projector to have now is the Bravia VPL-VW200. The follow up to the "Ruby". It has 120Hz and MotionFlow technology (a personal favorite) as well as an Anamorphic lens setting for those of us who lust after the CineCurve screens. While the "Black Pearl" is a great projector the VW200 is such a huge step up. It is the Qualia 004 to the once mighty "Ruby". I have requested one for review and will buy the review unit as soon as it arrives. For sale: One Sony Pearl projector as soon as my VW200 shows up.
What suggested price? Oh... and how much will you be seeling your Pearl for?

I'm right now planning the new upgrade. 720p single-chip DLP has enslaved me long enough. And since I review for dvdfile.com, it's been a drag having to haul my 1080p BDs over to my friend's house to use his JVC HD2K for review sessions. I need my 1080p!

It's gotta be under 5K (the price I pay). Preferrably well under 5K. I want pristing 1080p. I want good color, bright, and inky blacks. I will NOT watch 2001 in 1080p with a gray star-field.

Screen is the Dalite hipower which does best when the PJ is as close to eye-level as possible. Any PJs that don't have to be at the top/bottom of the screen but rather can be adjusted to be "center" mounted (vertically)? Looking for input.... thanks!

dave
DaViD Boulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #22

I believe the VPL-VW200 is going to be selling for a retail price of $13K however, I would expect that number to drop to around $10K soon, seeing as how the original "Ruby" was $9,999.00 retail.

As for my Pearl I haven't decided just yet how much to list it for but I suspect it will be somewhere around $3K if not $3K. I only have about 600 hours on the bulb thus far and have owned it for a little less than a year. I've seen new ones selling for $4-$4,500.00 and the used market seems to be about $3,500. We'll see. Hopefully I can get my hands on a VPL-VW200 by the new year but Sony isn't making any promises.

While the Pearl isn't the brightest projector out there if you can control the light in the room, it's one of the best. Honestly, I see nothing wrong with my Pearl other than the fact that it doesn't have 120Hz MotionFlow technology which I can now no longer live without. I love it so.

Also, the Pearl is very placement friendly (so long as the lens is dead center of the screen horizontally. It has quite a generous vertical lens shift as well as a great deal of keystoning room to let you play. If you can mount the projector center of the screen you'll get all that the Pearl has to offer.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Miller View Post
Hi TomKemp,

As with any projector the screen is a kkey part of the system. Given the Pearl's light output capability I would recommend a Stewart Grayhawk Reference screen at 80-inches wide (92 diagonal). if you go any larger than that use a Stewart StudioTek 130 for a little extra pop. I would not go any large than a 100-inch diagonal though in order light output and contrast ratio. Neither one of these screens at these sizes will be 3 to 4K unless you are talking masking drop down with tensioning. If you are going to go with a fixed screen, which is better any way it willl cost a lot less.
Sorry, don't mean to importune, but i type right now on a 110" Carada Brilliant White 1.3 gain (yeah, $800 screen with 5 inch alumimum borders, match that Stewart) using a much weaker light output projector the HC5000 which has about 600 lumens on various tests. The lights are on but dimmed so i can see my keyboard, and the image is crystal clear.

I am sure the Pearl can handle up to 120" without problems, others correct me if i am wrong.
Bobpaule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
David -

you would LOVE that Epson. I am VERY impressed with its performance at ANY price let alone $3999.
EMP-TW2000 50,000:1 contrast ratio D7 panels, read on at the bottom of link:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...ldpremiere.htm

"As already described the main advantages of the new EMP-TW2000 lie particularly in the clearly increased contrast, which is to break the 50,000:1 mark for the first time by means of the adaptive screen. All other technical characteristics as well as the operation were maintained, so that no large changes are to be expected here. A few Boni keeps however still ready the TW2000: On the connection side it offers now a second HDMI entrance (likewise HDMI 1,3), so that also without switching box now several digital sources can be attached. Besides the user can select signal now with fed 1080/24p whether he the film ruckelfrei with 2:2 Pulldown in 48Hz and/or 96Hz on the canvas wants to enjoy, or after conventional 3:2 Pulldown in 60Hz. particularly worth mentioning is besides the support of the new xv-Farbraumes, a new video standard initiated by Sony, which an increased and so that is to ensure cinemanear color area. Is still unclear, when it ever software, speak features, after which will give new standard on the market, but is prepared nevertheless the TW2000 here for all eventualities."

I am salivating, many will need counseling after this baby will smash the street prices in Spring.

Last edited by Bobpaule; 11-13-2007 at 08:24 PM..
Bobpaule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1080, 1080p, buy, forum, lens, money, pearl, projector, projectors, review, sale, shift, sony, thread, vplvw50