Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Video Projectors

Video Projectors Talk projectors, screens, technology and more.

Old 06-01-2007   #7

Default Re: Sony VPL VW50 "Pearl" 1080p Projector Review

The old Samsung Joe did was a killer. I saw a few versions of it at Kevin Voeck's house (Revel) in the Valley. It was a while ago.

It will be interesting to see what Samsung can do next with 1080p and Joe Kane!
Old 06-02-2007   #8

Actually the best 1080p projector comparison to the Sony Pearl would be Epson's Cinema Pro 1080 3LCD projector, which sells for $3995 now, and includes a ceiling mount and a spare lamp. I have done some consulting with the company, and I can tell you it produces a sharper picture with superior blacks over the Sony. It really is amazing how far LCD technology has come especially in the area of black level performance, which used to be their Achilles heal.
Email: kevin@ISFTV.COM
Web Site: www.ISFTV.COM ; www.tweaktv.com
Founding Imaging Science Foundation Member since 1994. Industry Consultant ~ ISF Instructor
Contributing Editor to CNET.COM, & AVRev.com
Kevin Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007   #9

I've heard a lot of good things about the Epson. My first projector was an Epson, and I've liked them ever since. I esspecially love the compact nature of most LCD projectors compaired to say the Pearl. I might have to check it out...
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007   #10

An initial review of the Pearl in either The Perfect Vision or Widescreen Review, I believe, seemed to indicate that the Pearl was extremely sensitive to the screen that was used. As I recall, the reviewer strongly recommended a purpose built screen from Stewart. I believe the recommended screen was in the $3-$4K range. Pricey for a $5K projector but worth it if it truly maximizes the viewing experience. Has anyone seen or read any further reviews that would confirm the initial review regarding the screen?

I did preview the Pearl at a local boutique dealer, Myer-Emco, but was VERY unimpressed with their Pearl setup. The main video room was reserved for an $18K projector. With the setup at Myer-Emco, which was lousy, I walked away with a lot less interest than I started with. I was seriously considering the Pearl.
tomkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007   #11

I have seen the Pearl setup at CEDIA as well as at Adrew Robinson and I must suggest the Meyer-emco people might have not had it rocking as hard as it can.

This projector is JAW DROPPINGLY GOOD and for the price - OH MY GOD!!!!

My Meridian-Faroudja is better without question. Its also 10 time more money!!!!

Power to the people with the Pearl.

In the category - also look at the new Epson 1080p projector. Even less money and about to get a GOOD review from us.
Old 06-07-2007   #12

Hi TomKemp,

As with any projector the screen is a kkey part of the system. Given the Pearl's light output capability I would recommend a Stewart Grayhawk Reference screen at 80-inches wide (92 diagonal). if you go any larger than that use a Stewart StudioTek 130 for a little extra pop. I would not go any large than a 100-inch diagonal though in order to maximize light output and contrast ratio. Neither one of these screens at these sizes will be 3 to 4K unless you are talking masking drop down with tensioning. If you are going to go with a fixed screen, which is better any way it willl cost a lot less.
Email: kevin@ISFTV.COM
Web Site: www.ISFTV.COM ; www.tweaktv.com
Founding Imaging Science Foundation Member since 1994. Industry Consultant ~ ISF Instructor
Contributing Editor to CNET.COM, & AVRev.com
Kevin Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1080, 1080p, buy, forum, lens, money, pearl, projector, projectors, review, sale, shift, sony, thread, vplvw50