Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Video Projectors

Video Projectors Talk projectors, screens, technology and more.

Old 06-17-2009   #19

Thumbs up Re: what projector for my theater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by htenthusiast View Post
I am curious to know how you rank the older sony vpl vw100 against the newer, more expensive jvc models. I have seen many movies played on the sony and wonder how justified the higher prices of the jvc are. Would it really be worth spending the extra money for my situation?
Doc Greene says the JVC smokes the Sony. He would also reccomend the new Joe Kane signature projector from Samsung as there is nothing like it in the sub 12K range, and of course there is the have Runco RS 900 with the Cinewide Autoscope in Doc's theater but it is a little more pricey. Dont' forget to consider the Black Diamond screen if you have ambient light issues.
thehifidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #20

Talking Re: what projector for my theater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
If by "room" you mean a room that's got dark/non-reflective surfaces to minimize light reflected back onto the screen, you're right.

Other than keeping light from bouncing back on the screen from other surfaces in the room, there's nothing special about a "room" as far as projection goes (naturally, I hope we don't need to mention the obvious that the room needs to be dark... as in no skylights letting in light Sunday at noon).

As far as screens go, IMO it's a lot less important to pay $$$ on a screen than some might think.

You may be missing some things here. I thought I had seen some good screens until I seen the new Joe Kane signature Da-lite screen. You have not seen 1080P in full resolution until you have seen this screen.

In fact, with today's high-output PJs with good contrast/blacks (like the JVC), you DO NOT WANT a high-gain screen bcs you don't want to hot-spot. YES

Rather, a standard 1.3 gain or even no-gain can look fantastic.PJs, the best thing that the screen can do is provide an even surface that's smoother than your painted wall. and color accuracy, and of course what I said earlier about the Joe Kane Screen.

Whatever your experiences with these other product lines, the JVC projectors are among the best in terms of quality and are among the VERY best in terms of picture quality. I agree, And I have used and owned many JVC products and found them to be reliable. If I did not have the Runco, I would probably buy a JVC.

The RS-series has to be seen to be believed. Not quite as razor-sharp as single-chip DLP, but much better blacks, reds/color, and silky-smooth pictures you can watch for hours without eye strain. Except for absolute black level, they rival the picture of 9" CRT beasts that commanded $60K + just a few short years ago.
Old 06-17-2009   #21

Default Re: what projector for my theater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
It is hard to make general statements about projector systems. The screen size is very important to know what gain is needed. The projectors that the OP restricted his question to are not really high output projectors with the JVC at 1,000 lumens. Trying to light up a large screen without a high gain screen will be difficult.
Doc Greene speaking as an ISF Commercial rated calibrator says: You should never have a 178:1 screen size larger than 80 x 45 if if your projector is putting out less than 1500 real ANSI lumens. The reason most people think projection looks bad is that the sxreen size is too large. This means the image is Dim, and color looks washed out and the image looks grainy if you are closer than 8 feet. In reality, a projection system done properly when compared to Plasma or LCD, will be brighter, have better deeper color saturation, more detail with less grain, and comparable black level. On a good projection system you should have to be closer than 24 inches to see any picture detail. (pixels) DLP will outperform LCOS or SXRD (Sony's version of LCOS ) in true resolution, since they are basically analog devices. A 3 chip DLP projector with 1500 or more ANSI lumens is drop dead gorgeous. That being said, the smaller the screen, the better the picture in most cases where the total budget is less than $100,000.00
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, choose, color, dlars20, fl, forum, jvc, mytheater, projector, projectors, recommended, revolution, room, screen, size, theater, video