Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Video Projectors

Video Projectors Talk projectors, screens, technology and more.

Old 04-13-2008   #13
wes

Cool Re: Proper screen size for best quality picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben Van Duyl View Post
If you send me your room lay-out plan, I can do the calculations and drawings for you. It would also calculate the audio sweet-spot for you.
My room is unfortunately square 18 x 18 x 10. My speakers are under the screen as I have three B&W 802D in the front.

I am looking at a Stewart Film Screen, Luxus A Electriscreen Firehawk G3 material 10 feet wide 2:35 aspect ratio, and the projector is a JVC DLA-RS2. My back speakers are 802s.

Thank you for your offer in letting me know where I should sit! I mostly watch blu ray or upscaled DVDs no TVs.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008   #14

Default Re: Proper screen size for best quality picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
My room is unfortunately square 18 x 18 x 10. My speakers are under the screen as I have three B&W 802D in the front.

I am looking at a Stewart Film Screen, Luxus A Electriscreen Firehawk G3 material 10 feet wide 2:35 aspect ratio, and the projector is a JVC DLA-RS2. My back speakers are 802s.
Here is the short list of recommendations I would give:

A) De-Square your room. Standing waves in square rooms are horrible. For example, build a full size book case or cabinetry along the entire back wall, fill it with books and equipment. That takes at least one foot away from the length of the room. In the front, build a false wall (simple 2x4 battens, MDF+plaster board skin) that sits 15" to 18" from the real wall. Mount your screen onto this and create recesses into which you place your L/C/R/Sub speakers. Run all your cables behind the false wall as well.

B) If you can, use an acoustic transparent screen and place at least the Centre behind the screen. If you use the screen size as recommended below, you could/should place L and R behind the screen as well. I would suggest the Screen Research ClearPix2 acoustic transparent screen: http://www.screenresearch.com/cpfixed.php

C) If you can take 2 1/2 feet of the length of the room as per A): then Sweet Spot is at 9'7" from the false wall, screen size is 8' exactly, horizontal image width (96" wide, or 110" diagonal on a 16:9 screen).

D) Place screen at 1/3 below eye level, 2/3 above eye level. Place acoustic centre of speakers at 5/8 of screen height.

If you follow these points, you will end up with a room that has exact viewing and audio lines as top quality post production rooms. Enjoy!

Gerben.
Gerben Van Duyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #15

Hi Gerben from Down Under,

What can be done with a 12' x 14' x 10' room. On one long wall I have 4 theater chairs and on the other long wall there are 2 open glass shelving units (one at each end) holding my components. left side shelve is 16"D x 21"W x 48"H, right side shelve is 20"D x 42" W x 48" H. That leaves about 100" between the shelves which is where I have a 60" pioneer kuro plasma and the L- C -R speakers and the sub at the far right.

On one short wall is a 101" entrance consisting of 2 bi fold doors with exterior weatherstripping and piano hinges between the R & L bi fold sections,the other short room side has (2) large 70" x 67" sliding windows in the same opening. There is 21" of wall under the windows to the floor and 26" above the windows with (3) 16" square windows at the very top.

The surround rear in -wall speakers above the theater seats (which are pushed up against the wall ), are 46" over my head and 80" apart

There are also 2 in -ceiling surround speakers above my sitting position 74" above my head and 5' apart.

My main chair is 103" away from all 3 front speakers.

I really can't change much. The walls are all 6" studs with R19 insulation and 2 layers of 5/8" drywall sandwiching a layer of loaded vinyl sound barrier. The room is very tight with 4" fiberglass wall treatments and base traps in all 4 corners.

I want to go with a projector but I fear I don't have the room for the proper set up of projector directly over my head and a large screen with my non built in front 3 speakers.

You can check out my components and room pictures in show us your system.

I'm curious what you think I can do!.

Last edited by i30krab; 04-14-2008 at 12:58 AM..
i30krab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by i30krab View Post
Hi Gerben from Down Under,

What can be done with a 12' x 14' x 10' room. On one long wall I have 4 theater chairs ...

On one short wall is a 101" entrance consisting of 2 bi fold doors with exterior weatherstripping and piano hinges between the R & L bi fold sections,the other short room side has (2) large 70" x 67" sliding windows in the same opening. There is 21" of wall under the windows to the floor and 26" above the windows with (3) 16" square windows at the very top.
I want to go with a projector but I fear I don't have the room for the proper set up of projector directly over my head and a large screen with my non built in front 3 speakers.

I'm curious what you think I can do!.
Do you use the windows? Could you black these out semi-permanently? Use for example very thick black curtains along the entire window end of your room.
If so, I would change the orientation of the room by 90 degrees, with the screen in front of the windows. Use either a fixed screen or a motorised screen, 85" wide image, 97.5" diagonal on 16:9. You can go to 90"H x 103"D if you like,
Again, an acoustic transparent screen is preferred in either case, just place your L/C/R on a neat podium across the front at the correct height for 5/8 of the image.

Sit at the sweet spot at 8' to 10' from the screen and enjoy a perfect image and perfect sound. This way the room would be a lot better, with no wall behind your head and correct integration of image and sound.

We have built smaller rooms than this for professional QA of H'wood movies before they go into the field. It can be done easily in your size room, but turning it 90 degrees is desired.

Regards, Gerben Van Duyl
Gerben Van Duyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #17

Gerben,

Thanks for your input, I understand your reasoning for the 90 degree reorientation and if I'm to proceed I must discuss the changes with my wife. Hmm, I wonder if other married forum members have a similar problem?

Anyway, Thanks I will let you know what she decides.
i30krab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008   #18
wes

Cool Re: Proper screen size for best quality picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben Van Duyl View Post
Here is the short list of recommendations I would give:

A) De-Square your room. Standing waves in square rooms are horrible. For example, build a full size book case or cabinetry along the entire back wall, fill it with books and equipment. That takes at least one foot away from the length of the room. In the front, build a false wall (simple 2x4 battens, MDF+plaster board skin) that sits 15" to 18" from the real wall. Mount your screen onto this and create recesses into which you place your L/C/R/Sub speakers. Run all your cables behind the false wall as well.

Gerben.
Even so I would love to De-Square the room, I have a fire place in the front wall and several built in book cases so unfortunately that is not going to be an option, thank you for the input. I appreciate the time you took to think about this, What can I do if I can't De-Square the room!

Last edited by wes; 04-14-2008 at 11:58 AM..
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
distance, dla, jvc, ou, photo, picture, picturer, projector, proper, quality, resolution, rs2, screen, size, video