Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Video Projectors

Video Projectors Talk projectors, screens, technology and more.

Old 04-10-2008   #7

Default Re: Proper screen size for best quality picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by i30krab View Post
Moose,
Life is short, if you have the ideas and money to back them up, go for it. You don't need us to encourage you. Remember a good lawyer never asks a question he doesn't already have the answers to now get out there and do the right thing, bigger is better.

Caveat; only If your wife agrees lol.
I'm doing advance research right now for a future addition to my house.
I'm just looking to make sure I get the best bang for the buck before laying out any cash.

My Girl friend just shakes her head & lets me do what ever I want in my "Man Cave"!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #8
wes

I would not go to large otherwise you will loose picture quality, it also depends on how close you like to sit and the size of your room. I like to sit about 10 feet away from the screen, best picture and sound so for me a ten foot wide screen is large enough. You want to make sure that you cover your peripheral vision for totally immersing experience.

Also it depends on what sources you watch Blu Ray DVDs are great at that distance but with DVDs I have to back up to 12 feet otherwise the resolution is not that great even upscaling at 1080p.

Enjoy
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #9
AVB

This should answer your question.
AVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVB View Post
Thanks but that is about screen size & seating distances where I'm wondering about lamp wattage to get the best picture from a certain screen size.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #11
wes

Cool Re: Proper screen size for best quality picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVB View Post
Thank you this is great!
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008   #12

Hi,

The screen can be as big as you like, as long as you get the appropriate Foot-Lambert amount of light on the screen (ft-L = measurement of light onto one square foot of screen). This is of course the result of the actual light output onto the screen from the pj. The target is 16 ft-L, but your local cinema sometimes falls even below 10.

The optimal screen size (horizontal image) is Seat Distance / 1.2. Meaning that if you sit 10 feet away from the screen, the screen should be 8.33' wide. This is because this is exactly 45 degrees to the Left and Right edge of the screen, which is also where the speakers should be, behind an acoustic transparent screen. All per THX cinema specs. Of course your room needs to be dark without any reflective surfaces or objects.

I have measured up several film post production stages at Sony, Hollywood and Twickenham, London, and they all adhere to these angles and distances.

So in reality, you should match your pj and its light output so that it gives 16ft-L onto the correct screen size for your room and seating lay-out. You are not supposed to match the screen to the pj!!

If you send me your room lay-out plan, I can do the calculations and drawings for you. It would also calculate the audio sweet-spot for you.
Gerben Van Duyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
distance, dla, jvc, ou, photo, picture, picturer, projector, proper, quality, resolution, rs2, screen, size, video