Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video Projectors (http://www.avrev.com/forum/video-projectors-22/)
-   -   help with new theater. (http://www.avrev.com/forum/video-projectors/1711-help-new-theater.html)

peak3504 03-15-2008 05:54 AM

help with new theater.

Have just completed home with a dedicated theater room. The room is 21x17 with 8' ceilings. The whole house has been pre-wired for a/v, with the theater wired for 7.1. All the wires terminate into a closet in the theater room, which I was hoping to use as a hub for the entire system. I was hoping to get some advice as to what sort of hardware I should purchase. i.e. the projector and reciever. Was thinking about using an Axiom system for the speakers, but am open to any suggestions from the experts. Any help given would be appreciated. Thank-you.

TheMoose 03-15-2008 06:26 AM

Re: help with new theater.

A price range would be helpful!!
There are projectors from $2500 to $100,000+ so maybe you could narrow it down a bit!

Since you said receiver I guess you have ruled out separates?
There is also a wide range of prices in receivers so what price range are you looking at?

peak3504 03-15-2008 01:11 PM

I don't have a set budget for this. And I don't know alot about a/v, just what i've read on the internet. But I think I would be just as happy spending 10k on a system as I would 100k. I just don't know if the quality would justify the difference for me. The state I live in isn't a hotbed of technology, and I'm a little worried about having something installed that will be out of date in 6months.

TheMoose 03-15-2008 05:51 PM

Check out the thread I made about my Denon 3808CI, It's not cheap at $1400 but it's not real expensive either & it's a real nice AVR.

As for speakers check out the Paradigm Monitor series, you could set you up a nice 5.1 for not a lot of cash with them.

deacongreg 03-16-2008 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peak3504 (Post 12914)
I don't have a set budget for this. And I don't know alot about a/v, just what i've read on the internet. But I think I would be just as happy spending 10k on a system as I would 100k. I just don't know if the quality would justify the difference for me. The state I live in isn't a hotbed of technology, and I'm a little worried about having something installed that will be out of date in 6months.

You raise a lot of good questions and provoke many thoughts. One thing about "Home Theater receivers", is at this point right now, they are very current as far as connectivity, ease of use, and flexibility. However, if sound quality is first on your list, I would go separates. And there are companies like Anthem, that make great equipment, for the money.

I would find a dealer, let him know what you shared with us, listen and watch. Let him compare a separates system vs. a receiver based system. Then, you will have something to reference. In both equipment, and pricing. Then you will know whether the difference in sound quality and pricing, is worth it. Bring your own cds and dvds, and enjoy the experience.