Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Video Projectors

Video Projectors Talk projectors, screens, technology and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008   #1
Super Member
 
JerryDelColliano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Beverly Hills
Posts: 1,423
Default Scalers for 4k projectors

I have a question for you guys on the cutting edge...

You can now buy 4k projectors from the likes of Digital Projections and Sony for use at home but how do you best scale 1080p (and other lower resolutions) up to that native resolution?

Do you need access to movies in 4k from the studio to make it worthwhile? OR is it better to have more pixels no matter what.

Many of the people who have seen one of our upcoming installs (waiting for it to run and 90 days to pass from the run date in Arch Digest) has a 4k projector in it at home. Very cool... He has some access to native files from the studios however.

j
__________________
---
Jerry Del Colliano
JerryDelColliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #2
Super Member
 
rlpiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 506
Default Re: Scalers for 4k projectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
I have a question for you guys on the cutting edge...

You can now buy 4k projectors from the likes of Digital Projections and Sony for use at home but how do you best scale 1080p (and other lower resolutions) up to that native resolution?

Do you need access to movies in 4k from the studio to make it worthwhile? OR is it better to have more pixels no matter what.

Many of the people who have seen one of our upcoming installs (waiting for it to run and 90 days to pass from the run date in Arch Digest) has a 4k projector in it at home. Very cool... He has some access to native files from the studios however.

j
From what I remember reading about the Sony, it has a built-in scaler. I am assuming it is very good based on the price of the projector. Also, I don't think anyone is making a 4k scaler for the consumer right now.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #3
rex
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 379
Default 4k projectors

Unfortunately, movies shot or post-produced and then released in 4K are scarce (Spider-Man 3, The Da Vinci Code and Ocean’s 13 are a few). So for the most part, we’re seeing the projector’s upscaling capabilities. However, more cinemas are converting to 4K projection systems or installing them upon construction, like the 18-screen Muvico Cineplex that opened last fall in Rosemont, IL.

Sony’s SRX-R105 consumer 4K projector, with accessories, will run you around $100,000, says Floyd. “Projection from a 4K system is so much brighter, cleaner and smoother if you put an HD image on the screen and compare apples to apples [against a 2K projector and screen],” he says. “If you take the 2K and 4K versions of the same movie, there’s so much more information on the 4K image, it’s like night and day.”

Screen manufacturer Screen Excellence has even developed a special material for 4K projection, though John Caldwell, whose StJohn Group is Screen Excellence’s North American distributor, thinks it will be 10 years before 4K makes its mark with anyone besides “the guy who just has to have the best.” I’ll be envious of that guy.

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...er_than_1080p/
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #4
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Redding, CT USA
Posts: 203
Exclamation 4k projectors are becoming the next standard of picture fidelity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
Unfortunately, movies shot or post-produced and then released in 4K are scarce (Spider-Man 3, The Da Vinci Code and Ocean’s 13 are a few). So for the most part, we’re seeing the projector’s upscaling capabilities. However, more cinemas are converting to 4K projection systems or installing them upon construction, like the 18-screen Muvico Cineplex that opened last fall in Rosemont, IL.

Sony’s SRX-R105 consumer 4K projector, with accessories, will run you around $100,000, says Floyd. “Projection from a 4K system is so much brighter, cleaner and smoother if you put an HD image on the screen and compare apples to apples [against a 2K projector and screen],” he says. “If you take the 2K and 4K versions of the same movie, there’s so much more information on the 4K image, it’s like night and day.”

Screen manufacturer Screen Excellence has even developed a special material for 4K projection, though John Caldwell, whose StJohn Group is Screen Excellence’s North American distributor, thinks it will be 10 years before 4K makes its mark with anyone besides “the guy who just has to have the best.” I’ll be envious of that guy.

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...er_than_1080p/
Well, I just saw a demo of the new Merdian 810 4k projector, and it's designed for home use. Price = $185,000 . . . and it claims to be the best.


http://gizmodo.com/5030792/meridian-...-no-pixelation


Personally, I like the Sony SRX-R220.

It is a superior projector in almost all regards, though not for most home theaters or the timid. Retail pricing = $220,000.00!

Last edited by Flay; 02-05-2009 at 04:22 PM..
The Kipnis Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #5
rex
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 379
Default Re: Scalers for 4k projectors

Chris Boylan has a very interesting review of the Meridian 810 Reference Video System: http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/me...o-system.shtml

The projector comes packaged with your choice of a long, short, or medium-throw lens as well as a motorized 2.35:1 anamorphic lens assembly for fixed height ultra-wide screen installations. A "Very Short Throw" option allows the projector to be used in rear projection or simulator applications. All packages also include the 810 Reference Video Scaler which connects to the projector with four parallel DVI-D cables each carrying one quadrant of the image. These four parts are seamlessly stitched back together by the projector to display one integrated full resolution image. Any of these packages will set you back a cool $185,000.

The quoted specs are impressive: 4,000 Lumens of brightness and a native contrast ratio of 10,000:1 But it's the pixel count that really sets this projector apart from the competition. While JVC masks out the top and bottom of this 4Kx2K+ D-ILA light panel using only the "sweet spot" in the center for its own implementation (realizing an effective 4096x2048 resolution), Meridian actually uses the entire panel at 4096x2400 pixels for a total resolution that comes in at just under ten megapixels (9,830,400 pixels to be precise). They are able to do this only after four or more days of hand calibration to each unit which involves extensive testing of the entire projected area for color, brightness and grey scale uniformity, and sometimes extensive re-writing of the lookup tables used by the light engine to map out the projected image.

What source could possibly take advantage of all these pixels? Today? Virtually nothing. Even the mighty 1080p Blu-ray Disc only comprises a mere 2 million pixels. So Meridian had to find a way of taking today's sources, from 480i up to 1080p and enlarging them to the full 10 Megapixels of detail without exposing their less detailed origins. They've done this by partnering with IC maker Marvell whose Qdeo processing technology is responsible for blowing up standard definition and high definition sources to the projector's native 4096x2400 pixel resolution.

The Qdeo processor (short for "Quiet Video" as in the opposite of noisy video) has to do a massive amount of real-time computing to interpolate and rebuild the picture detail that is missing when you try to map a 2 megapixel original to a 10 megapixel final image. Effectively 80% of the viewable image is provided by the processor itself. And when you're viewing a standard definition source, the process is even more daunting as 96% of the image is created by the processor from only around 350,000 pixels in the original image. It's a wonder that they can produce any image at all....
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #6
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Redding, CT USA
Posts: 203
Exclamation Re: Scalers for 4k projectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
Chris Boylan has a very interesting review of the Meridian 810 Reference Video System: http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/me...o-system.shtml
My biggest problem is that 4,000 ANSI Lumens is perfectly good up to 10 feet wide at 24.5 foot-Lamberts, but for anything larger, it might look a bit dull - given the price of $185k, i would like the option of a brighter engine for more money. Why? Because we do not live in the '50's when you could be lucky to see 16.5 foot-Lamberts on the very best screens. Now, it is clear from comparisons with reality that even my 50+ foot-Lambert recommendation is highly subjective based on ambient lighting conditions!!!

In the end, I'm not at all certain that Merdian hasn't just made a consumer SRX-R projector (from JVC and using JVC technology) with better contrast ratio.

Everyone's thoughts, please? Perhaps Bob Stuart will join us for a commentary on design requirements in the 21st century!
__________________
Cheers -

Jeremy

The Kipnis Studios
www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Video Calibration Labs
www.VideoCalibration.com

Epiphany Recordings Ltd.
www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

----------

KSS DL.TV Video Feature (NEW)
http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki...TV_-_6_08.html

Last edited by The Kipnis Studios; 07-30-2008 at 10:41 PM..
The Kipnis Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Tags
1080p, 235, 4096x2400, 4k, buy, da, home, meridian, projector, projectors, references, scale, scaler, video, vinci

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laser Projectors rex Video Projectors 8 07-11-2008 10:57 AM
LCD VsDLP projectors rolexdaytona Video Projectors 27 06-08-2008 06:21 PM
How long until LED or Laser projectors? TheMoose Video Projectors 6 02-16-2008 02:57 PM
Throw distances projectors $3000.-$6000 jrw1881 Video Projectors 6 01-03-2008 12:03 PM
Sony releases two more high powered LCD projectors AVRevForum.com Video Projectors 0 11-28-2007 12:09 PM




SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1