Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Video Projectors

Video Projectors Talk projectors, screens, technology and more.

Old 07-31-2008   #7
rex

Default Re: Scalers for 4k projectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kipnis Studios View Post
My biggest problem is that 4,000 ANSI Lumens is perfectly good up to 10 feet wide at 24.5 foot-Lamberts, but for anything larger, it might look a bit dull - given the price of $185k, i would like the option of a brighter engine for more money. Why? Because we do not live in the '50's when you could be lucky to see 16.5 foot-Lamberts on the very best screens. Now, it is clear from comparisons with reality that even my 50+ foot-Lambert recommendation is highly subjective based on ambient lighting conditions!!!!
Still, of the reports I have read from those who witnessed the NY demonstration, none have complained about the brightness of the 25' screen. [Correction: My bad, the screen was only 14', though presumably they will have a 25' screen at Cedia.] I think the SMPTE standard is 16 fL. Chris did mention that the screen was poor quality with many visible defects. Those who attend the Cedia expo in September should have a chance to see a demonstration under more ideal conditions. LCOS does not produce sharp individual pixels, they tend to run together which explains, at least in part why individual pixels were not visible even at that size.

This should make a very nice theater system for the well-to-do. Unfortunately, I am not one of them; but I can still drool. But who knows? The way price and quality of technology progress, this level of performance may become affordable, and even commonplace some day in the future.

Jeremy, is it really true that you play PC games on your 18' 4K screen? Which one is the funnest to play at that size?

Last edited by rex; 07-31-2008 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: correction
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
Jeremy, is it really true that you play PC games on your 18' 4K screen? Which one is the funnest to play at that size?
I have found that brighter levels of light (> 40 foot-Lamberts) viewed in a controlled environment produce an experience verging on and feeling very much like reality, given enough resolution.

I do play PC, PS3, Wii & Game Cube, and XBOX 360 games on my 18' screen at about 52 foot-Lamberts. It is stunning, and I really enjoy both first person shooters like "Call of Duty" and drivers like "Burnout" and "Grand Tourismo". I also have a friend who comes over and plays "Everquest 2" for entire evenings and mornings!

I believe, having searched long and hard throughout the world, that this may be the brightest, sharpest, most immersive gaming system on the planet. Interestingly, we have been designated as the most expensive gaming system in the world for the upcoming 2009 edition of the Guinness Book of World Records.

But really, you must just come here and bring your favorite games for a complete, hand tailored-demonstration!

Jeremy

The Kipnis Studios
www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Video Calibration Labs
www.VideoCalibration.com

Epiphany Recordings Ltd.
www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

----------

KSS DL.TV Video Feature (NEW)
http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki...TV_-_6_08.html

Last edited by The Kipnis Studios; 07-31-2008 at 05:06 PM..
The Kipnis Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #9
rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kipnis Studios View Post
But really, you must just come here and bring your favorite games for a complete, hand tailored-demonstration!
You can definitely count on a YES to that! The next time I am in Redding CT, you will be on the top of my list to visit. Playing any video game on your setup would be totally awesome! Talk about feeling like you are actually in the game! I am only afraid that afterwards I would never again be satisfied with my meager 67" Samsung RPTV.
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #10

I saw the Meridian System demonstrated at Definitive Audio's 16th Annual Home Theatre Experience last month. It was quite impressive! I don't recall how large the screen was, but I believe that it was significantly bigger than 10'.

Definitive is apparently the biggest dealer for a number of high-end products and there are always new exotic products receiving their first or very early public exposures here.

http://www.definitive.com/

A number of the audio systems there were ruffling the legs on my pants and I was wearing shorts!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HTE16-Meridian-Projector.jpg (46.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg HTE16-Thor's-Hammer.jpg (23.8 KB, 10 views)
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #11

Hi from the Uk
I've been installing big home cinemas for a little over 20 years. Over the years I've used 9" CRT's with very good quads and later Runco 3 chip DLP with 1000w Xenon lamps - both of these video set ups ran close to 100k.
I recently installed the new Sony 4k consumer projector in our listening rooms are to me its a complete game changer.
It's simply much, much sharper and cleaner than any 1080p projector I've ever seen.
In the past I've usually recommended clients to go for smaller screens - typically 7-9 foot wide to maintain image quality. Now with this Sony - its called the VPLVW1000ES here and sells for 16800 inc sales tax, we've installed a 4.5m wide screen and it looks incredible from 4m viewing distance. The internal "Reality Creation" on the Sony works brilliantly.
If you're into the best quality image I very much doubt you'll see anything better than this.
I've posted some images on our site as the picture is simply so superb.
Photographing screens is usually a nightmare - with this projector it really doesn't seem a problem.
Rob
robsinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1080p, 235, 4096x2400, 4k, buy, da, home, meridian, projector, projectors, references, scale, scaler, video, vinci