Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Video Projectors

Video Projectors Talk projectors, screens, technology and more.

Old 12-06-2007   #1

Question Throw distances projectors $3000.-$6000

I have just completed studding our my new theater room (combo room - fireplace and plazma) and would like to know if there are any projectors on the market that have a throw distance of 28 ft?? I plan on having a 9ft. wide x 6ft. screen with speakers mounted behind the screen. Since this is being created as I write I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have. The room is approx. 27ft. x 15ft. with no outside light. I know I can mount a projector 10 to 20 ft. but don't really want it in my site line, prefer it to be like a movie theater projection booth. The ceilings are 81/2 ft. high.

Since I am blue collar and doing this myself money naturally is as important as quality. In other words the biggest bang I can get for the buck.

I used to have a dedicated home theater room I built many years ago before home theater was the "thing to do" now, so I am familiar with setting up a theater room and appreciate any help anyone is willing to give me about equipement. Speakers, amps, receivers, projectors etc will all be needed to complete this labor of love! Thanks...
jrw1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008   #2

Default Re: Throw distances projectors $3000.-$6000

There are a number of projectors out there that are in that price range that might work, but none that I know with that throw distance. I have installed an Epson Pro and a JVC RS1 with higher ceilings and the lens will adjust the picture down. You can mount the projector right up on the ceiling. You just want to mount it center and use the adjustment to move the picture down. You wont get distortion and you don't have to spend way to much for a projector that has a 30' throw.
mathew@claritysightsound. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008   #3

Matthew is right your best bet is the JVC RS1U and have it hug the ceiling.

Also if your screen is 9' wide it should be 5'1 feet tall for a 16:9 image. That would be a 124" screen size which imho is about as big as you want to get with that projector.

What are the lighting conditions?
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008   #4

Cool Re: Throw distances projectors $3000.-$6000

would like to know if there are any projectors on the market that have a throw distance of 28 ft?? I plan on having a 9ft. wide x 6ft. screen with speakers mounted behind the screen.

If the word of an ISF multi certified calibrator with 30 years of experieince in the biz carries any weight, Your screen is Waaaay to big for your budget. Since I require that a projected image have better color saturation than a Pioneer Plasma TV, then you would need to have a very serious light engine in the 50K plus range for a screen that big. Now if you insist on screwing this up and settiling for a washed out picture, then the Runco CL810 Ultra with Proteus E, or the RS-1100 Ultra with Proteus F lens will work great. Niether of these are in your stated budget though. The aforementiond JVC would look great on a 80 x 45 inch screen but nothing large than that. I will tell you that better quality pictures are much more enjoyable than having your friends see it and say yea its big but my Plasma has much better color and detail. This is why most people think that projection is always a sub standard picture. properly done, front projection is the best picture that money can buy.
PS do not buy a high gain screen. The hot-spotting will drive you nuts.
thehifidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehifidoc View Post
If the word of an ISF multi certified calibrator with 30 years of experieince in the biz carries any weight, Your screen is Waaaay to big for your budget. Since I require that a projected image have better color saturation than a Pioneer Plasma TV, then you would need to have a very serious light engine in the 50K plus range for a screen that big. Now if you insist on screwing this up and settiling for a washed out picture, then the Runco CL810 Ultra with Proteus E, or the RS-1100 Ultra with Proteus F lens will work great. Niether of these are in your stated budget though. The aforementiond JVC would look great on a 80 x 45 inch screen but nothing large than that. I will tell you that better quality pictures are much more enjoyable than having your friends see it and say yea its big but my Plasma has much better color and detail. This is why most people think that projection is always a sub standard picture. properly done, front projection is the best picture that money can buy.
PS do not buy a high gain screen. The hot-spotting will drive you nuts.
He is referring to a 92" diagonal screen which with the RS1 and properly calibrated would look rather stunning. At 124" it won't look as good. I've seen this projector at 100" and 110" look pretty nice. Still 92" and 100" really allow it to pop and look far more 3dimensional when properly calibrated. I think it's Ansi ratings allow for a 100" screen easily.

I sure would like Kevin Miller's opinion on this. We can hope he sees this thread.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #6

JR1881 is completely correct. I have first seen people make the high gain mistake a lot (even pro's), and the screen size for that budget is big.

Can you control the light in the room well? If you do a 16X9 screen I would stick to about 120 inches max. That is still a real wow factor, and if you want to spend a little more the JVC RS2 is coming out is better that the RS1. I have seen it a training class with JVC and ever since I am patiently waiting for my demo one for our theater.

Good luck.
mathew@claritysightsound. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
21, 30, 3000, distances, foot, front, home, jvc, projector, projectors, rs1100, rs2, runco, theater, throw