Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Video Processors, Technology & Calibration

Video Processors, Technology & Calibration Discuss the best way to get the most from your video system.

Old 09-27-2007   #1

Default New bulb & Other things.

Just wondering if putting a new bulb in a RPTV will effect the calibration?

What are some of the other things that can mess up a calibration?
New cable or Sat box, new player (DVD, BD, HD-DVD, etc)?

Will changing anything that wasn't there during the calibration screw it up & require calibration again?
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #2
EDA

Default Re: New bulb & Other things.

Replacing a bulb will definitely warrant new calibration. Difference in brightness and color temperature will occur with the new lamp.
EDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #3

I'd also let it "burn in" a little before calibrating as the bringness and contrast can vary quite a bit at the beginning. Think of the peformance of a bulb as a bell-curve. You want to calibrate it when its in the beginning of its life but not TOO early.
wazzzup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzzup View Post
I'd also let it "burn in" a little before calibrating as the bringness and contrast can vary quite a bit at the beginning. Think of the peformance of a bulb as a bell-curve. You want to calibrate it when its in the beginning of its life but not TOO early.
------

I have had digital projectors since they first came out and I can say the life span is easily 4 times better today than before.

I would also add that they roll off in contrast isn't NEARLY as bad as it used to be.

I had a Madrigal MPD1 (modified JVC) that William Phelps tweaked out. With a new bulb it measured at 250:1. 100 hours later it was less than 1/2 that. It still kicked the HELL out of my Sony 7 inch CRT and was about 10x smaller. The fan noise was LOUD!!!!
Old 10-02-2007   #5

well it looks like I'll be waiting to calibrate for a couple of reasons, first off my set is 1 year old so I may as well wait till I have to replace the bulb, but mostly because my dealer hasn't got the HDMI equipment yet.
It seems he spent a ton of cash on DVI equipment & got burned so it'll probably be spring before he has the right gear anyway.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #6

I would calibrate on a fresh bulb
Sponsored Links

Tags
bulb