Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Video Processors, Technology & Calibration

Video Processors, Technology & Calibration Discuss the best way to get the most from your video system.

Old 08-28-2007   #1
Administrator

Default HD Guru Joe Kane Releases "Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics"

Donít Set Up Without It: Easy-To-Use HD Basics Helps Novice Users and Aficionados Enjoy Optimum HDTV Results and Understanding

HD DVD and Blu-Ray Disc Versions to Be Released on October 30, 2007

The DVD Acquisition and Development Group, Inc., the parent company of DVD International (DVDI), announces the release of Joe Kane Productions' Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics on HD DVD and Blu-ray disc. Designed to benefit HDTV novices and aficionados alike, HD Basics has been created by Joe Kane, one of this country's leading HD experts, designers and consultants. The comprehensive disc provides easy-to-use calibration tests and setup instructions for getting the most out of your HDTV set and offers valuable background information on today's high definition systems. HD Basics is the successor to the popular Video Essentials and Digital Video Essentials. The HD DVD and Blu-ray versions of HD Basics will be available starting October 30, 2007, and will each retail for $29.95.

David Goodman, President of The DVD Acquisition And Development Group said, "Joe Kane is the foremost high definition calibration expert in the world, and his Digital Video Essentials (DVE) is the best home theater calibration tool available. While HDTV sales are exploding, the reality is that most users still do not completely understand HD and are not enjoying the optimum picture on their sets. HD Basics is designed to rectify that, and we have made set up easier than ever by taking advantage of the interactivity that next-generation high definition formats are capable of delivering. The first thing that a consumer will discover after inserting HD Basics is that it is different from any version of DVE offered to date. A simple and straightforward menu asks you whether you want to just calibrate your television or whether you want to delve into all of the advanced features that HD Basics has to offer."

The HD Basics "Setting Up My HDTV" section includes six essential calibration test patterns that can dramatically improve a high definition image after only a few minutes of use. Simple audio instructions allow the user to follow along until the optimal settings are achieved. The "Advanced Video Test Patterns" section includes many of the test patterns found in the Professional version of DVE while other parts of the program contain a trove of background materials on how HDTV works. Also new to the DVE line of programs, youíll find an audio commentary track recorded by Joe Kane, describing what to look for in the demonstration materials, and Allen Daviau, (cinematographer for E.T., Empire of the Sun, and more), on color grading film for high definition presentation.
AVRevForum.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007   #2

Default Re: HD Guru Joe Kane Releases "Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics"

I have DVE in HD DVD, looks like I'm ordering another calibration disc!

Correction, just pre-ordered it off Amazon for $22.49 on Blu-ray.... amoungst other new software.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #3

I don't have this disc yet but my knock on Joe's past discs is that they are WAY to difficult to use. Perhaps this will take his time-tested system and allow more of the 3,000,000 end users to get more from the HDTVs without needing a degree from the ISF in video calibration.

Note: the ISF/Moster disc is the easiest to use so far. It will be interesting to hear from Ken how the new Basic version of Joe's disc stacks up.
Old 09-18-2007   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I have DVE in HD DVD, looks like I'm ordering another calibration disc!

Correction, just pre-ordered it off Amazon for $22.49 on Blu-ray.... amoungst other new software.
kennyt, how is your disc? Is it easy to use?
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #5

Like everything there is a learning curve. I screwed the TV up a little the first time or two I used it, but then it starts to make sense and you figure out how to maximize it's use and you do pretty well with it.

I am certain it in no way totally replaces a good ISF calibration, especially in my hands, but it gets me close to it for a lot less funds.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #6

And that is why this type of product is needed. There are some that will not go for ISF calibration. Actually, I believe the general public needs to be educated in this area. I`m sure none at Best buy or Circuit City are letting people know how important this is.
Even if they only use the DVE.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2007, basics, bluray, calibration, disk, dve, essentials, good, hd, isf, joe, kane, setting, system, video