Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video Processors, Technology & Calibration (http://www.avrev.com/forum/video-processors-technology-calibration-29/)
-   -   Upscaled Wii? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/video-processors-technology-calibration/512-upscaled-wii.html)

AVRevForum.com 08-24-2007 06:54 PM

Upscaled Wii?

Has anyone used something like a DVDO VP-50 on the Nintendo Wii?

One has to imagine with the sucess of the Wii so far (still hard to find in stores), an HD version will come out someday.

TheMoose 08-24-2007 07:37 PM

Re: Upscaled Wii?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVRevForum.com (Post 2213)
One has to imagine with the sucess of the Wii so far (still hard to find in stores), an HD version will come out someday.

Not going to happen this generation.
That would completely destroy the main advantage it has over the PS3 & 360, it's price.
While it costs more to produce a PS3 or 360 than what they are sold for at retail the wii has made a profit from day 1.

I don't care how good wii sports looks in HD no one is going to pay $450+ for a wii, the gimmicky controller wears thin soon & there is just no games for it other than wii sports & Zelda (both launch games) & wii sports was a free bundle.

I have several friends with wii's & they are just collecting dust unless a niece or nephew come over.

Nope Nintendo will not go HD on the wii, they had a brilliant marketing idea, by repackaging the slow selling game cube with a "cool" controller & packaging it with the best game for the wii so far they have sold a ton of them & made a profit from the start.
maybe in 5 years the next gen wii will be HD, by then it will be much cheaper to implement.

Neil Peart 08-31-2007 12:21 PM

maybe if someone here knows someone at Nintendo, they can comment here.

JerryDelColliano 09-01-2007 11:06 AM

I use my Faroudja to scale to 1080p on PS3 and XBox.

JerryDelColliano 11-03-2007 01:34 PM

I saw the Wii on the 103 inch Panasonic.

It looked pretty good. A little fuzzy on the edges but that didn't keep people from having a BLAST playing the tennis game.

rlpiii 02-14-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano (Post 5572)
I saw the Wii on the 103 inch Panasonic.

It looked pretty good. A little fuzzy on the edges but that didn't keep people from having a BLAST playing the tennis game.

I have a Wii in both my living room and theater room. On both systems, I have the cables upgraded to component. When I found the component video cables, I immediately bought them. I have never even tried what came with the system. I am using my Halcro SSP-200 to upscale to 1080p to output on 126" screen. I have not noticed any "fuzzy edges." It does, however, look like an up-converted image, but it is definitely better than not up-converting. I wish someone would come out with a Wii HDMI cable, that would probably also improve PQ a bit more.

The Wii is very addicting! I actually never even wanted one. My wife bought our first one, then a Black Friday later I now have two and play both of them more than her.