Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Video Processors, Technology & Calibration

Video Processors, Technology & Calibration Discuss the best way to get the most from your video system.

Old 01-01-2008   #7

Thumbs up Re: Imagine if there was a pay-per view show for calibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
HDTVs should self-calibrate.

Apple monitors do it.

It might not be a full ISF treatment but how hard would it be to make a 7 step setup for consumers in a "wizard-like" format? Ask a few basic questions and set the HDTV that way.
eXCELLENT IDEA. aLSO, THERE SHOULD BE A LITTLE STATEMENT IN ALL hdtv`s stating why calibration is important. Because, most people do not know. People need to be educated. I actually talked to the few people I knew at my church who I knew bought HDTV`s, and they had absolutely no idea about calibration, or why it was necessary. They will get to borrow my dvd video essentials disc.
Good idea Jerry. Now it needs implementation like everything else.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008   #8

Default Re: Imagine if there was a pay-per view show for calibration

Well this http://tweaktv.com/ would be better than a pay per view calibration channel if they ever get it launched.
I don't know how you would calibrate your display through the internet but I'm interested in finding out!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Well this http://tweaktv.com/ would be better than a pay per view calibration channel if they ever get it launched.
I don't know how you would calibrate your display through the internet but I'm interested in finding out!
I just noticed that Tweaktv.com is live now. It is a free service that suggest settings because a full "real" calibration has to be done professionally as we all know. I have been using their suggested settings on my HDTV's and I am considering a home calibration service. Does anyone know about Kevin Miller?
gedalneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #10

I know all about Kevin Miller... What would you like to know?

He calibrated ALL of my TVs and my last two projectors.... He like Gladiator movies, going to bullfights on acid.... Skinny Skiing.
Old 03-20-2008   #11

Does he like to tie you up in his ties Ty?

You seem to have a real fetish for that line Jerry..... I guess if you're going to pick one, thats not a bad one!

I personally like the line from Bill Murray in Where the Buffalo Roam about the screw-heads..... and to this day I frequently use the term screw-head for just that movie...

BTW if you haven';t seen it, BM does the best impersonation of Hunter S. Thompson you'll ever see!!!!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
HDTVs should self-calibrate.

Apple monitors do it.

It might not be a full ISF treatment but how hard would it be to make a 7 step setup for consumers in a "wizard-like" format? Ask a few basic questions and set the HDTV that way.
For this to be feasible each HDTV would have to ship with a tri-stimulus colorimeter and have a built-in signal generator and some very sophisticated auto-calibration software. While this is certainly technically possible, it would raise the cost of these sets by, at the very least (even figuring in economies of scale), hundreds of dollars and almost certainly more than the cost of a professional calibration. Personally I wouldn't want to be working in the "service" department of a TV manufacturer who implemented such a scenario.

Tags
broadcast, calibration, hdtv, hdtvs, imagine, internet, kevin, live, paperview, patterns, pay, show, taraszka, test, tv