Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video Processors, Technology & Calibration (http://www.avrev.com/forum/video-processors-technology-calibration-29/)
-   -   Calibration Nightmare (http://www.avrev.com/forum/video-processors-technology-calibration/2265-calibration-nightmare.html)

rex 07-26-2008 03:03 PM

Calibration Nightmare

I had never had a display professionally calibrated previously, so I was eagerly looking forward to the calibration I had scheduled for my new Samsung HL67A750. In order to ensure a proper, professional calibration, I was careful to obtain the ISF-certified calibrator’s telephone number from the ISF website. He arrived with several expensive-looking cases of test equipment. I explained the sequence of keys required on the remote control to access the service menu. Once inside the service menu, the calibrator was completely stumped about what to do next. For some reason, the menu item “grayscale” was not an available menu option while in HDMI mode. After several frantic telephone calls to both Samsung and his trainer, a guy named “Jamie” who works at Sencore (the company which sold the test equipment), he still could not figure out what to do next, and so he informs me that the grayscale cannot be adjusted on this model while in HDMI mode. Though I knew that this didn’t make any sense, I breathed a sigh of relief, realizing that someone tinkering around inside the service menu might cause some real damage. I later learned that the grayscale is adjusted from the submenu, WB (white balance). I also knew that “gamma” was supposed be between 2.2 and 2.5, though I didn’t understand why the default setting was –3. (This is not the actual gamma, but rather a user selectable parameter, which is chosen to achieve a gamma of between 2.2 and 2.5, depending on preference and ambient lighting.)

Furthermore, this ISF-certified calibrator had no idea what either CCA or Blue mode were for. CCA is Samsung’s “color coordinate adjustment” system, which automatically corrects primary and secondary colors to system specifications, and therefore must first temporarily be disabled before performing calibration of color and tint. I explained that using blue mode was much more accurate than using filters, and explained how bars are compared while in this mode. When we then turned on the blue mode and everything turned blue, he looked at me and asks, “Where are the bars”? So I explain that the blue mode only turns off the other colors, and that he still has to send the SMPTE test pattern to the display with his signal generator. He continued for a while really messing up all of my user settings. For example, he turned the contrast from 90 all the way down to 20. I explained to him, as politely as I could, that I had called him primarily for the grayscale calibration, since I didn’t have a colorimeter; and that since all of the other adjustments I could do myself with my AVIA II disk, he was now free to leave. At this time, he demanded that I pay him $70 for the service call. He wasn’t going to charge me the full amount, he said, since he didn’t finish the calibration. I preferred to just give him the 70 bucks to get rid of him, than have an argument.

So, Kal, maybe next time, I should simply invest my money in a colorimeter and follow your online instructions. http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457
Perhaps I should even contact Sencore for a refund of my $70? After all, they are the ones, in this case, responsible for providing training. Clearly they are much more interested in selling equipment than they are in maintaining professional standards in the industry. What do you think?

rlpiii 07-26-2008 10:41 PM

Re: Calibration Nightmare

How much were you originally going to be charged? $70 is not much for isf calibration.
I have always been charged in the $300 - $500 range. Usually $500 if only doing one display.
I can get discounts if doing multiple displays on the same service call.

deacongreg 07-27-2008 06:08 PM

Sorry to hear about your frustration. Maybe, the thing to do is, ask Kevin Miller for a recommendation. He might know a ISF calibrator in your area, or be able to find out who does your area. This way you would have a better qualified person.

I guess its just food for thought now.

rex 07-30-2008 02:33 PM

The Nightmare continues

Quote:

Originally Posted by deacongreg (Post 16792)
Sorry to hear about your frustration. Maybe, the thing to do is, ask Kevin Miller for a recommendation. He might know a ISF calibrator in your area, or be able to find out who does your area. This way you would have a better qualified person.
I guess its just food for thought now.

That would be great if Kevin knew someone. But I live in the middle of the boondocks, so my options are limited. There were two ISF calibrators in this area listed on the ISF website. So next, I called the second one. He comes over and starts hooking up his equipment to the component inputs. I tell him that I don't use component, just HDMI, (one for BD and one for Dish). He says that if he does the calibration using components, the TV will be calibrated on all inputs; but I don't believe him. So, he calls the same trainer, Jamie, at Sencore who confirms that all he has to do is calibrate on component and all other inputs will be calibrated. I don't believe this, so I decide to pass. Now I am down to my last resort: the dreaded Geek Squad. Stay tuned for further details of the ongoing drama!

(If I am wrong about the inputs, will someone more knowledgeable, like Kevin or Kal, please chime in. My understanding is that each input has to be calibrated separately. Thanks.)

The Kipnis Studios 07-30-2008 07:45 PM

The Calibration Nightmare - Be GONE!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rex (Post 16829)
That would be great if Kevin knew someone. But I live in the middle of the boondocks, so my options are limited. There were two ISF calibrators in this area listed on the ISF website. So next, I called the second one. He comes over and starts hooking up his equipment to the component inputs. I tell him that I don't use component, just HDMI, (one for BD and one for Dish). He says that if he does the calibration using components, the TV will be calibrated on all inputs; but I don't believe him. So, he calls the same trainer, Jamie, at Sencore who confirms that all he has to do is calibrate on component and all other inputs will be calibrated. I don't believe this, so I decide to pass. Now I am down to my last resort: the dreaded Geek Squad. Stay tuned for further details of the ongoing drama!

(If I am wrong about the inputs, will someone more knowledgeable, like Kevin or Kal, please chime in. My understanding is that each input has to be calibrated separately. Thanks.)

Normally, each input can (and should) be calibrated separately using the source and a test disc to generate signals. However, their are exceptions.

Your Samsung HL67A750 is a case of confusion by the Sencore trained ISF calibrators, who are only trained to deal with the basics. The rule of thumb is: only work with someone who has owned or reviewed the equipment in question. Otherwise it is total hit or miss.

So, I am going out into the world and find me this exact television to give you the answer!

Be back to you, shortly!

JerryDelColliano 08-24-2008 11:23 AM

CCA ironically as Rex mentioned is Samsung's ad agency that ignores us.