Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Video Processors, Technology & Calibration

Video Processors, Technology & Calibration Discuss the best way to get the most from your video system.

Old 06-25-2007   #1

Question Where Will the Resolution Limit for HD Video Be?

I burried this question in a response on another there thread, which was not very smart on my part. It probably should have it's own thread...

Where do you feel the limit in resolution will be for HD Video, either in terms of physical limitation or when people start not to care and aren't interested in an 'upgrade' in terms of video resolution?
mcraghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #2

Default Re: Where Will the Resolution Limit for HD Video Be?

One only has to look at the raw video footage of Peter Jackson's short film shot on the Red One digital cinema camera to realize no resolution is to high. Raw 4K imagery is simply fantastic. I think 35mm is on its way out because image quality in the digital rehelm is becoming so good. It's only a matter of time before 1080p becomes the SD of our time.

http://www.red.com/

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #3

Question Re: Where Will the Resolution Limit for HD Video Be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson_A View Post
One only has to look at the raw video footage of Peter Jackson's short film shot on the Red One digital cinema camera to realize no resolution is to high. Raw 4K imagery is simply fantastic. I think 35mm is on its way out because image quality in the digital rehelm is becoming so good. It's only a matter of time before 1080p becomes the SD of our time.

RED Digital Cinema
Yes, I would agree, but will the average consumer be willing to pay that have it in his/her home?
mcraghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #4

like everything in consumer electronics it will only be a matter of time before 4K res and beyond is affordable and available at Costco. =)

Remeber, not to long ago HD was a toy for the rich with 42" plasmas costing on average $20K or more.

Sure the early adopters are going to pay a pretty penny and rightfully so. But as time goes on everyone will have to 'step up' yet again.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #5

Smile Re: Where Will the Resolution Limit for HD Video Be?

I have to say I agree with Andrew. Digital technology is continuing to improve at a high rate everyday. From young people, to their parents, and people like us, everyone seems to be buying a digital camera. Putting pictures on line and sharing with family and friends. The quality boost is now being enjoyed.

With pricing already dropping on HDTV`s, Plasmas and the like, 1080p probably will be the standard. The only set back might be the broadcasters, and makers of this gear working out the logistics. All the HDMI and connection issues, when that as well is worked out, then I believe we can expect a boom in this area.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #6

The next step is 1440p which isn't 4k but is better.

Personnally, i think there is SO MUCH room for improvment to get the world upto 1080p - that 1440p isn't a platform anyone should be pushing just yet.

The big issue is will today's film makers and TV producers use better technolgy to change cinematography. Its like upgrading from a 16 crayon box of Crayolas to a 64 crayon set with the sharpener in the back. Its a lot more to work with.
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, camera, change, digital, dvd, hd, hdmi, limit, limits, ray, resoluiton, resolution, result, revolution, video