Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > Video Processors, Technology & Calibration

Video Processors, Technology & Calibration Discuss the best way to get the most from your video system.

Old 07-16-2007   #7
jbk

Default Re: Where Will the Resolution Limit for HD Video Be?

What I see the following as the limiting factors of HD video

1.) Networks being persuaded to invest huge amounts of capital to produce and broadcast HD programing.
2.) Cable companies limited offerings of HD programs.
3.) A lack of stable standards. First it was enhanced TV 420, then the government steps in and mandates 720p 1080i but the go live dates keep getting moved out. Now we're talking 1080p or 1440P. I don't see any networks, cable companies or satellite companies ponying up large amount of capital to keeping up with the move from 720 to 1440p big $$$$$
4.) An unresolved Format war with BLuRay and HD Dvd. Most people won't jump until the pendulum settles on one format. BUt better there aren't enough software titles to warrant interest. And the prices of the software has down to current Dvd pricing. Who wants to own several copies of movies just to see improved or alleged improvements in resolution. I'd be willing to bet most people watch TV from less than 15 feet, more likely 10 feet. So how much improvement will there be? As far as the average viewer is concerned there might not be enough of an improvement to justify keeping spending his money on the new and improved versions of his HD TV.

I'm not an expert like the others responding but I don't forsee any short term 1080p let alone 1440p programing over the airwaves. Besides who is going to watch reruns of Everyone Love Raymond in HD 1080p or Dancing with Dummies on the network?

I think the economic hurtles are too great and the real increases in the levels of HD won't be justified to the average consumer.
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007   #8
Banned

It wasn't that long ago that 480p was hidef. You could only get hidef tv's with 1080i, and there was only 5 hd channels avaliable.
It was only within the last year that you could more hd channels. Networks are getting closer to broadcasting everything in hd (720p, 1080i). They are doing their best to get there. I just don't see where 1080p is a big deal yet.
1080p was never a thought in peoples minds until the bluray. What a good job Sony has done in promoting this.
I have demo hd and bluray side by side, hd 720 and br 1080p, and not seen any difference. Until networks change reolution it remain at 720. IMO 1080p falls short of the hype.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #9

If your set isn't big enough - 1080p will fall flat. Above 50 inches - 1080p is amazing. I agree with your comment only on smaller sets.
Old 07-24-2007   #10
jbk

I'm a little confused about the HD standard and screen size.

Isn't the HD broadcast standard 720p and/or 1080i?
Isn't the standard set for a 50 inch screen?

This lead to another question. How many lines are displayed on a 65 inch screen?

If you have a screen bigger that 50 inches aren't the same number of lines being spread over a bigger screen going to lead to less definition?

And, isn't the viewing distance going to determine the size of the screen you will be using?
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #11
Banned

Your right. I should have most consumer tvs. It definitly looks better on front projectors. On smaller tvs 720 does the job.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #12

With MPEG-4 satellite receivers shipping, does anyone here think they will be broadcasting in 1080p in the next few years?
leisuresuitlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
blu, camera, change, digital, dvd, hd, hdmi, limit, limits, ray, resoluiton, resolution, result, revolution, video