Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video Processors, Technology & Calibration (http://www.avrev.com/forum/video-processors-technology-calibration-29/)
-   -   what are the real reasons for upgrading a processor? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/video-processors-technology-calibration/1967-what-real-reasons-upgrading-processor.html)

i30krab 06-01-2008 03:17 PM

what are the real reasons for upgrading a processor?

I'm asking this question from a standpoint of how I use the unit.

My Rotel 1066 passes only 7 channels of audio but no video thru it's circuits. the video signals, cable TV and the Oppo DVD connect directly to my 60" Pioneer Kuro via HDMI cables.

I happen to be very happy with the Rotel's ability to produce a great surround sound experience. I personally think having 7 speakers and a sub woofer in a 12' x 14' dedicated room along with a 3 x 250 WPC amp driving the front 3 speakers and 2 Rotel 200 WPC amps driving the 4 surround speakers along with a high quality self powered sub and proper wall treatments for acoustics are the reason the room sounds so good!

This brings me to the original thought, why should I buy a new processor for close to $2000.00 when I can modify my Rotel with a power supply and op amp upgrade along with lowering the noise floor for $500.00?? What am I missing here?

rlpiii 06-01-2008 04:02 PM

Re: what are the real reasons for upgrading a processor?

Unless you are using an HDMI Y-cable or HDMI distribution box to get audio to your Rotel and video to the Kuro, you are missing out on the best available audio. If your Rotel can process MCPCM, you can get away with only getting a new player for hearing the new codecs (provided you pick a player that can decode the new codecs and send out the signal via MCPCM.) IMO I believe the new codecs are worth an upgrade. You really need to go to a dealer that will A/B the new codecs vs. the old ones for you so that you can hear the difference which is noticeably better.

daniel24 06-01-2008 09:24 PM

Hi, rlpiii.
Thank you very much for your nice information. It’s really very useful for us.

raoc801 11-27-2008 04:19 AM

hi everybody,
does anyone have any experience with the new cary home theater processor cinema 11a.

thank´s for any information you can give about the processor...

wes 12-01-2008 11:07 AM

Upgrading or not upgrading, well taht is the question.

If you want to enjoye all the new codec and have loosless audio upgrading is a must also depending how old your pre/pro is it might start to be outdated. A lot of progress has been made with DAC and DSP my current pre/pro is seven years old so I am du for an upgrade and am looking at the Classé SSP-800 taht is until it can decode the new codecs.....

raoc801 12-02-2008 09:22 AM

the classé 800 is the best processor i´ve used for the price,and i can get the upgrades for hi def sound for free...but is still too expensive for me.i usedit in the last audio show with nuforce 7 channel amp and the ct 700 home theater from b&w,and the planar 8150 with a beamax velvet screen 16:9 and the setup was very good,with great dinamics and big sound,i used the drum duet from the last genesis live concert in rome, and the guns scene from open range movie with kevin costner among other br and hd titles...everybody loved the quality of the sound.
but i can spend just 2000 in a new processor,that´s why the cary question.

regards