Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video Processors, Technology & Calibration (http://www.avrev.com/forum/video-processors-technology-calibration-29/)
-   -   External Scaler Suggestion? WS65813 (http://www.avrev.com/forum/video-processors-technology-calibration/1424-external-scaler-suggestion-ws65813.html)

qwertybobo5 01-09-2008 07:47 PM

External Scaler Suggestion? WS65813

I'm looking for a suggestion on an external scaler that will convert 720p to 1080i. The tv supports 1080i and not 720p. Mitsubishi WS65813.

Yes, the source material is PS3 games that are only 720p. (The ps3 won't automatically scale the content).

The TV has component inputs and DVI. I'm currently using the component cables out of the PS3 to the tv.

The tricky part - the TV does NOT have any HDMI inputs.

Can anyone suggest an end-to-end solution (scaler/cables/adapters)? I've looked at the Gefen HD Mate scaler (DVI), but I really don't know enough about this stuff. I've never had luck connecting anything to the DVI port (even the stuff that says it supports HDCP).

From what I understand, the DVI port on the tv is DVI-I but it will ONLY support a digital signal. Analog signals are explicitly NOT be supported. This leads me to believe I will need some sort of scaling device that pulls the HDMI signal from the PS3, scales any 720p to 1080i, and then outputs it still digitally (maybe still HDMI). Then I would add in a simple HDMI to DVI converter to ensure it stays digital (ie no component cables) and that's it?

THANKS!

Lotus 01-20-2008 04:46 PM

Re: External Scaler Suggestion? WS65813

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwertybobo5 (Post 9146)
I'm looking for a suggestion on an external scaler that will convert 720p to 1080i. The tv supports 1080i and not 720p. Mitsubishi WS65813.

Yes, the source material is PS3 games that are only 720p. (The ps3 won't automatically scale the content).

The TV has component inputs and DVI. I'm currently using the component cables out of the PS3 to the tv.

The tricky part - the TV does NOT have any HDMI inputs.

Can anyone suggest an end-to-end solution (scaler/cables/adapters)? I've looked at the Gefen HD Mate scaler (DVI), but I really don't know enough about this stuff. I've never had luck connecting anything to the DVI port (even the stuff that says it supports HDCP).

From what I understand, the DVI port on the tv is DVI-I but it will ONLY support a digital signal. Analog signals are explicitly NOT be supported. This leads me to believe I will need some sort of scaling device that pulls the HDMI signal from the PS3, scales any 720p to 1080i, and then outputs it still digitally (maybe still HDMI). Then I would add in a simple HDMI to DVI converter to ensure it stays digital (ie no component cables) and that's it?

THANKS!

I haven't used it but the DVDO VP20 would work. It's $1499 MSRP.

The Lumagen VisionDVI can be had for $999 MSRP. That unit would do exactly what you wanted.

kennyt 01-25-2008 01:32 PM

I agree with Lotus, the DVDO products are top notch and not that expensive, I would only ask if and when you expect to upgrade your display to 1080p? If it is soon, go with the VP50 or better yet the VP50 Pro so you are future proofed.

JerryDelColliano 01-25-2008 09:35 PM

I just got a DVDO VP50pro and it is VERY COOL.

A GREAT HDMI switcher. Not one glitch to date (knock on wood) with HDCP copy protected sources.

Nice scaling overall. It wont make SD into HD but it tries. It sure helps make SD look better on my 9 foot screen.

rlpiii 01-26-2008 08:19 AM

I also looked into external video scalers that up-convert standard video to "HD quality", and then decided against.

Today, it seems more and more preamps and receivers are having up-converting scalers built-in along with HDMI switching. Also included is up-converting composite, S-video, and component connections to output on HDMI.

I would definitely look into upgrading your preamp / receiver before buying into the external scaler idea.

Also, HDMI to DVI converters have been around for a while. I have friends that have not changed out displays because they are happy with their HDMI to DVI conversion.

Lotus 01-27-2008 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlpiii (Post 10129)
I also looked into external video scalers that up-convert standard video to "HD quality", and then decided against.

Today, it seems more and more preamps and receivers are having up-converting scalers built-in along with HDMI switching. Also included is up-converting composite, S-video, and component connections to output on HDMI.

I would definitely look into upgrading your preamp / receiver before buying into the external scaler idea.

Also, HDMI to DVI converters have been around for a while. I have friends that have not changed out displays because they are happy with their HDMI to DVI conversion.

This may not be bad advice since he isn't even using a Receiver in his setup.

The Sherwood Newcastle Units are likely the least expensive units to do this and will cost right around what a video processor/scaler costs.