Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   System Advice (http://www.avrev.com/forum/system-advice-12/)
-   -   Should I just man up and finally buy a new TV? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/system-advice/672-should-i-just-man-up-finally-buy-new-tv.html)

AudioGuy2007 09-11-2007 12:22 PM

Should I just man up and finally buy a new TV?

I've been watching the prices keep falling but it seems like they are finally leveling off and I dont see 1440p coming anytime soon, so is it finally the right time to buy my new TV? should I just get last year's best model or spend the extra for one of the current top of the line rear projections? Any advice? Chime in and let me know your thoughts.

JerryDelColliano 09-11-2007 12:24 PM

Re: Should I just man up and finally buy a new TV?

I didn't see anything at CEDIA that would change my advice that NOW is a good time to invest.

The Epson $7000 all-in-one theater made a SICK picture for the money. Truly incredible.

j

kennyt 09-11-2007 01:14 PM

I agree with Jerry, while TV's still do and will continue to drop, I think the largest part of the fall is over. I think 1440p is a ways off and to be honest good 1080p can display HUGE images and look great.

TheMoose 09-12-2007 09:11 AM

While HDTV prices haven't bottomed out it has reached a plateau of affordability. So yes this is a good time to buy.

As for buying last years model or the next years model, that's a harder question.
Last years rear projections are great, full 1080p inputs & you can get a great price on them right now.
The top of the line new models will have HDMI 1.3 deep color but there is no content for that now but may be a big improvement in the future, a more important new feature is LED lighting which will have a much longer lifespan & won't fade like current lamps.

It just depends on what's important to you on which year model you get.
Just don't fall into the next gen features trap, some people wait forever to see the "next big thing" & when that comes out manufactures are already talking about the next gen features & they wait some more.
Get you a nice HDTV now & get a good HD provider (DirecTV is getting ready to roll out a bunch of new HD channels) & get a Blu-Ray (or HD-DVD) player & start enjoying the amazing HD picture sooner rather than later.

tigeraudio2007 09-13-2007 01:23 PM

Rear-projection LCos, SXRD, DLP HDTVs can be had for really great prices right now. However, if you are looking for awesome LCD flat-panel HDTVs then you may want to wait. The screen sizes don't much exceed 52-inch at the moment but they will be getting bigger. LCDs are still pretty pricey though. This technology has yet to have its big price drop breaking point. It is on its way. To give you an idea, Samsung has the 65Series with a 52-inch LCD with 3 HDMI ports sporting HDMI 1.3 for a price of about $3300 (through amazon)