Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   System Advice (http://www.avrev.com/forum/system-advice-12/)
-   -   What CD player to buy - a reader needs advice... (http://www.avrev.com/forum/system-advice/540-what-cd-player-buy-reader-needs-advice.html)

JerryDelColliano 08-28-2007 12:59 PM

What CD player to buy - a reader needs advice...

Can you guys add to the advice I gave this reader?

-------

Hi Jerry,
I am updating my home stereo system and have spent months (seriously!)researching the products. It finally occured to me to ask the people in the know! So if you'd be willing to steer me in a direction I can't tell you how much I'd appreciate that.

I'm looking for a new stereo receiver and milti-disc CD player. Music's it for me....won't be into the home theater. I've read so much about the 24-bit Burr-Brown DAC's that it seems I'd need them? Would I need them in the receiver and the CD player?

My aging top-of-the line Onkyo's need replacing. I love the brand though. Would like to keep the receiver cost under $1000 and the CD player maybe under $500.

Any light you could shed would be appreciated beyond your knowing!!!
Thanks a million and for all that you guys do keeping us audio lovers in the know!
Best Regards,
G. Walker

kennyt 08-28-2007 02:21 PM

Re: What CD player to buy - a reader needs advice...

Tough to say without an idea of what speakers he's planning on driving, but for that market, a few come to mind;

Sterero Receivers;

Outlaw Audio RR2150 stereo receiver $649 new, 100 wpc/8 Ohms, 160 into 4, should handle all but the more difficult speakers.

NAD C720BEE Receiver, a little less power, but I always have a soft spot for NAD, they give a lot of performance to the money (not to discredit Outlaw, they also are well know for the same!)

CD player, one of my favorties close to that price point is the Rega Apollo, actually retails for $999 but if you save some on the receiver you might be bettter off with a bettter source.... This comes down to a long standing argument in audio.... Do you start at the source or the speakers??? But that's another topic. Other CD players I like are the Linn Genki which can be had used for ~$700, but mind you these are getting aged. I have heard a general rule of expecting 10 years out of an audio component, while I have many that have far outlasted that, especially speakers, I sometimes use it as a guidline for electo-mechanical devices (ie CD player... I would be more confident with an older amp but realize caps go in these too so maybe my logic is flawed....)

Walker,

If you are looking for a stereo only system, you do not need a DAC (Burr Brown or other chips) in your receiver. Use the analog outs of the CD player and leave the receiver to handle analog, it makes the system simpler.

If you are trying to really save funds I have heard good thing of the Oppo players though I have never heard them personally, but they are universal player for <$200, so you could venture into 2 channel SACD and even DVD-A though it seems wrong to downmix DVD-A into 2 Channel (many SACD's have both a 2 channel and MC version)

Hope that helps some.... FWIW I beleive Outlaw has a home trial as well, NAD you might need to find a dealer to demo.

KT

Robinson_A 08-28-2007 05:26 PM

I wouldn't go Oppo for CD playback, however, I agree with the Outlaw/NAD sentiment. Outlaw has a retro design stereo receiver with all the trimmings (including a USB port) in the RR2150. I've spent considerable time with it and I can say that it is quite good.

I LOVE the NAD BEE Series. I've owned the 320BEE which I think is the cheaperst of the bunch and the original and it was utterly fantastic. Mate that bad boy with the matching CD player and BOOM you're in hi-fi heaven.

That's my two cents.

deacongreg 08-30-2007 12:59 PM

Boy, everyone with great suggestions. I`m going to comment on just the source. Right now, the Marantz DV - 7600 is a bargain. At 599.99, down from 1099.99, it represents great quality at a good price. A universal player so you can play all cds and dvds except, HD, and Blu - Ray of course. Will play both 2 channel and multi - channel Surround sound. Includes a brand new 216MHz/12 Bit Video DAC with a separate 10- bit Progressive Video Scaler allowing video upscaling to 720p or 1080i.
Though I know you are not into the home theater arena now, but at this price, you will not need another player for a while, unless you do go HD.
See it on musicdirect.com.

I hope that helps.