Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   System Advice (http://www.avrev.com/forum/system-advice-12/)
-   -   10 minutes to turn on and spool up my theater (http://www.avrev.com/forum/system-advice/174-10-minutes-turn-spool-up-my-theater.html)

JerryDelColliano 06-13-2007 09:27 AM

10 minutes to turn on and spool up my theater

Knowing I was going to have some people over for the final Sopranos, about an hour before the show, I went into my theater to get everything cued up.

I assumed that people might want the demo. Here is what I did (tell me if this sounds crazy or not)

1. Got ESPN HD going with a BRaves game to make sure the projector was warm and looking good.
2. Checked my TiVo that it was set to record "Made in America" with plenty of time left at the end (little did I know about the ending - screw you David Chase)
3. Spun up Getz and Gilberto in my Sony SACD player and paused it.
4. Spun up Audioslave's "tell me how to live" on Dual Disc and paused it.
5. Cued up a hot scene from Mouon Rouge on D-VHS and stopped the tape there.
6. Cued up the second scene from XXX on Blu-ray (a good demo).
7. Waited almost 3 monutes to get Apollo 13 cued up and paused on chapter 4 on my HD DVD player.
8. Went back to the Braves game and dimmed the lights on my Crestron...

All of this took me 10 minutes. I said to my wife, remember when I could switch any sorce from anywhere like it was no big deal? Se looked at me funny. Even with a fully installed and programmed sytem with a Crestron, RS232 etc... This stuff is SO COMPLICATED!!!!!

j

deacongreg 06-13-2007 12:21 PM

Re: 10 minutes to turn on and spool up my theater

Looks like you were very prepared, and with a flick of a button, you were ready to go. Good choice in Getz and Gilberto. Did not know that you liked Astrud Gilberto. My favorite album is "Gilberto with Stanley Turrentine". 3 favorite songs, Wanting Things, Brazilian Tapestry, and to a Flame. Beautiful flute work by Hubert Laws.
I thought Crestron, AMX, and the likes were supposed to make your life simpler?

Oh well, as long as the demo came off good to your guests!

kennyt 06-13-2007 12:34 PM

Jerry,

Good to hear you did get married... they say it makes us live longer, I sometimes wonder if that is a plus.... Seriously though, I would have used the first scene from XXX (that Godaweful movie as you like to say) and would have encouraged you to use NIN 'Beside You In Time' as well for a Blu-ray demo.....

Otherwise I would have liked to have seen it on that system! Sounds like a good demo list!

KT

Robinson_A 06-13-2007 12:57 PM

To bad we were all so upset about the end of Sopranos we didn't want to spend another minute in the theater. I always enjoy your demos for they are truly killer. I thank you for the effort, and it would've been great had we not been so let down by Sopranos.

Oh, and $20 says there is no Sopranos movie. I think everyone from Chase to the actors are done and over the Sopranos and there is no movie in the works what so ever from what I've heard. Even if Chase were to make one, I don't think James is game for it.

JerryDelColliano 06-13-2007 01:04 PM

15 million reasons to do a movie

When Gandolfini realizes that he IS Tony Soprano to the audience even when playing other characters - he might get swayed by say 15,000,000 other reasons to do the movie.

Silver Supra 06-13-2007 07:30 PM

I never understood why actors are so scared of being type-cast.

I would ride that pony as long as I could if I were Gandolfini.

It's too bad that whiney little **** AJ didn't get whacked however... especially after screwing up scoring with that little underage hottie!! :)