Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Surround Sound

Surround Sound Talk about everything from 5.1 to 7.1 to Dolby True HD and beyond.

Old 11-20-2007   #7

Default Re: Surround speakers

Okay, so the Dolby low pass standard for LFE is 125Hz. The THX standard for X-over sub/speaker is 80Hz. But I believe you want to x-over your speakers at the point where they integrate best with the sub. That will be different with different speakers in different rooms.
Bob Hodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #8

I use an array just the like in the cinema, doesnít matter if itís a small cinema or a large auditorium with up to 42 loudspeakers placed down the sidewalls and along the back wall, just as long as it works with pleasing effect.

I use up to at present 7 loudspeakers for the surrounds to give total control over where I want the sound to be heard and enjoyed, nothing more nothing less.

Thereís a few other (home cinema techniques) that I use here to give a film a good driving force of performance with a few larger type JBL placed in the rear corners.

Nearly all the loudspeakers are JBL except for one sub bass extension system thatís used to enhance the low end energy, where smaller loudspeakers based on physical technical tolerances canít reproduce, is sent to the sub bass extension.

Surrounds are commonly found in a (horseshoe configuration) in cinemas this is how it should be laid out in the home along the sidewalls and along the back wall.
JBL1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007   #9

B&W deals around ? Does anyone know of any good deals ?? i might even check out ebay or something on line . LUKE
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007   #10

Cool Re: Surround speakers Comparative Analysis?

I admit that I'm an utter novice at all this. I want to buy a surround sound speaker system to go with the 50" plasma HDTV I've got.
I read lots of reviews and each reviewer raves about the speaker system at hand, but I've never found any kind of comparative analysis that compares this speaker set to another. How about a statement of relative quality. Are all speakers in the $1000/set price range the same?
Can anyone point me towards an information source that can help me identify the best way to invest my $1000-$1200?
Thanks for any assistance,
Otto4Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #11

For that price and for a plasma, I still am using my Kef 5005.2 system, small, easy to power and sound great for the $$ I have seen them for $1,300 street. They are still in my bedroom and used almost daily.

http://avrev.com/equip/kef_kht_5005_2_system/

Check out my review of them, I still feel the same way!

Last edited by kennyt; 11-30-2007 at 02:36 AM..
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
686, 8b, aerial, audio, bob, bw, forum, full, fullrange, hodas, hometheaterreview, luke, range, speakers, surround, surrounds, taraszka