Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Surround Sound

Surround Sound Talk about everything from 5.1 to 7.1 to Dolby True HD and beyond.

Old 03-13-2011   #1

Question Paralleling Speakers

Ive got one of those Durabrand 80 watt 5.1 systems. Ive got 2 speakers on the front left, 2 speakers on the front right, a center by itself, 3 on the real left and 3 on the rear right. It sounds good, im just afraid im gonna kill this poor receiver. Whats your opinion?
dylan r. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Paralleling Speakers

It could depend on the speakers used. 2 speakers that are 8 ohm each wired in parallel will put a 4 ohm load on the receiver and cause it to output roughly twice the power at any given volume setting. Assuming the receiver stays stable with the reduced load it probably won't burn up since by using two speakers, you will probably have the volume setting lower for any given amount of sound.

Now when you put 3 in parallel you would reduce the load to 1/3, or for 8 ohm speakers down to 2.6 ohms. Normally going below 4 ohms is not good.

Is there a reason why you have so many speakers?
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #3

well, the original speakers that came with it were rather small. for the front i got a couple of larger speakers so i could get a better range, and i got some more for the rear for the same reason. really, i need a more robust receiver, something that has more power to work with.
Old 03-14-2011   #4
Administrator

I would just use the larger speakers until you can upgrade, but if it is working and the receiver does not get too hot, don't worry about it.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #5

will do. i appreciate the help.
Old 03-15-2011   #6

I'm trying a new idea with my HT setup.. I've purchased four Jamo 10K4 speakers. These mount flush in the ceiling, and are 4-way, with toggle switches that let you attenuate -3dB 0 +3dB for each of the three smaller speakers. The bass driver is 10" and the power rating is 200W RMS. I got a spool of 12-2 AWG CL3 wire years ago from Parts-Express, before the copper prices went mad, and the 1K spool was $97. It's just been sitting up in the attic until I needed it. NOW I need it, so I have 1000' of 12 ga CL3 wire to run around the room..

By using the four in-ceiling speakers, there's a lot less crowding in the room, and much less wire running around. The Jamo's wires all run over to the "port" where the receiver will go when I get this all finished up! I'll let you know the results when I get finished!
musikman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
12, 8ohm, audio, awg, ceiling, cl3, paralleling, parrelling, powered, safely, sound, speakers, surround, vbulletin, wire