Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Surround Sound (http://www.avrev.com/forum/surround-sound-30/)
-   -   Surround Sound Echo Problem (http://www.avrev.com/forum/surround-sound/5097-surround-sound-echo-problem.html)

TypesWithLisp 11-17-2010 04:29 PM

Surround Sound Echo Problem

I am an AV professional, and have run across a problem that has me and everyone I know stumped, maybe one of you may be able to shed a light on the issue. I just installed a NEW 3-D home theater system. Samsung 8000, Onkyo NR808, and a 3-D BD player. The issue we have is the is a echo between the L, C, R speakers when viewing Cable (Scientific Atlantic DVR) and not with the other sources. Now our configuration is a little un-conventional; but we have used it with great success in the past. The entire 5.1 system is connected to speakers with the exception of the center channel. We are using the center pre out in order to use the TV as the center speaker. While viewing any other source the sound is perfect. But Cable gets a very annoying echo. I am also unable to remove speech from the L & R speakers using any of the speaker configurations. The only difference between now and previous setups is the equipment. The HDMI/DVI RCA audio in has been merged with the PC 3.5 audio in by the manufacturer, and the system is a part of the new internet based receivers and TV's.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I must add if your idea is connection related or configuration related realize I am very experienced, and an actual AV engineer so beginner problems are not a consideration, and as I said before this configuration has worked well before. I am looking for in-depth help, not... "Did you try a fiber optic cable?"

rbinck 11-17-2010 05:26 PM

Re: Surround Sound Echo Problem

It sounds like a delay issue for the TV. Many TVs these days will have a delay built into their audio to allow for the processing delay for the video. So if the audio of your sound system is ahead of the center channel, that's what I would suspect. Many receivers will have a delay you can set in to compensate for this, but if you are using the center channel output of your receiver it would already be delayed and not help. My JVC has a small delay for each channel to compensate for the left and right channels being closer or farther from the center channel, but it is only a few ms. My daughter has one of those new Sharp 4 color jobs and it takes a 200 ms delay to get lip sync due to the TV's processing delay.

I don't know what to suggest for your case other than add a center channel speaker. I don't know of any receiver that has settable left and right channel delay separate from the center channel that would work for your application.

Not sure why not on the BD player and only on cable though.

TypesWithLisp 11-17-2010 07:25 PM

rbinck,
We came to the same deduction and solution as you; what is baffling me is the fact it is only with the cable DVR and no other sources. I canít understand why the delay is only with the cable and no other source, and no matter the audio setting including all channel stereo.

rbinck 11-19-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypesWithLisp (Post 26335)
rbinck,
We came to the same deduction and solution as you; what is baffling me is the fact it is only with the cable DVR and no other sources. I canít understand why the delay is only with the cable and no other source, and no matter the audio setting including all channel stereo.

That is baffling. Glad you got a workaround.

einteractive 11-11-2012 10:24 PM

I had faced the same problem. And, by contacting professionals I found that the sound coming from TV as well as from home theater system was slightly out of phase and just because of that it was causing an echoing effect.