Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Surround Sound

Surround Sound Talk about everything from 5.1 to 7.1 to Dolby True HD and beyond.

View Poll Results: Listening to 5.1 Surround Music with NO picture?
Can be VERY entertaining. 13 76.47%
Sometimes sounds unnatural. 3 17.65%
My TV screen is NEVER off. 0 0%
Other (write in) 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2007   #1

Default 5.1 music with NO picture

Select the answer that best describes your personal experience:
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #2

Default Re: 5.1 music with NO picture

I rarely have interest in a picture when listening to music.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #3

The surreal thing about DVD-Audio discs is that you have to rely on the on-screen menus and once you have started playing the disc, its a pain in the ass to turn the TV off for listning, then back on when you want to access the on-screen menus. With a rear projection TV, you have to wait for the bulb to warm up when you turn it on and then for it to cool down when you turn it off.

They should have made on-screen menus on a remote screen like the old Sega Dreamcast remote control so you can simply pick the track you want with the little remote. Wouldnt that have been cool?
Neil Peart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #4

Like kennyt, listening to music only, needs no help or assistance. The fact that you now have 5 channels instead of two, would only make the experience more intense to listen to.
Isn`t that why we all love the music??!! I think we all forget that after you buy the equipment, review it, coddle it, maybe rever it, its about the listening experience, or its all for naught.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Like kennyt, listening to music only, needs no help or assistance. The fact that you now have 5 channels instead of two, would only make the experience more intense to listen to.
Isn`t that why we all love the music??!! I think we all forget that after you buy the equipment, review it, coddle it, maybe rever it, its about the listening experience, or its all for naught.
True that.

I certainly understand why many people with Home Theater systems use them primarily for "video" entertainment.

But some of the BEST music ever recorded, was created prior to the "video revolution"... and these artistic masterpieces also deserve the sonic realism of the latest-greatest technology!

If I only had one hour left to live... I would much rather cue up a 24/192 re-master of Sgt. Pepper, than watch Gigli on a Blu-ray disc.

DD
David DelGrosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #6

Smile Re: 5.1 music with NO picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
True that.

I certainly understand why many people with Home Theater systems use them primarily for "video" entertainment.

But some of the BEST music ever recorded, was created prior to the "video revolution"... and these artistic masterpieces also deserve the sonic realism of the latest-greatest technology!

If I only had one hour left to live... I would much rather cue up a 24/192 re-master of Sgt. Pepper, than watch Gigli on a Blu-ray disc.

DD

Yes sir. Most definitely sir. Anytime of the day or week!!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
51, audio, bluray, buy, codes, colorful, listening, music, picture, recorded, sound, surround, turn, tv, video