Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Surround Sound

Surround Sound Talk about everything from 5.1 to 7.1 to Dolby True HD and beyond.

View Poll Results: Listening to 5.1 Surround Music with NO picture?
Can be VERY entertaining. 13 76.47%
Sometimes sounds unnatural. 3 17.65%
My TV screen is NEVER off. 0 0%
Other (write in) 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2007   #7

Default Re: 5.1 music with NO picture

i always make a disc of the artist or paintings and play that along with the music . At parties i have tried sing along with the words and stuff like that .
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #8

Thumbs up Re: 5.1 music with NO picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by David DelGrosso View Post
True that.

I certainly understand why many people with Home Theater systems use them primarily for "video" entertainment.

But some of the BEST music ever recorded, was created prior to the "video revolution"... and these artistic masterpieces also deserve the sonic realism of the latest-greatest technology!

If I only had one hour left to live... I would much rather cue up a 24/192 re-master of Sgt. Pepper, than watch Gigli on a Blu-ray disc.

DD
Have not heard from you in a while. But, good news, Stanley Clarke has a brand new CD on Telarc`s Jazz Label HeadsUp International entitled - "The Toys of Men." A Hybrid SACD. It is excellent. Definitely a throwback to the Return to Forever Days. In fact, I saw him on a cover of a music magazine while at Barnes and Noble today talking about going back to the 70`s fusion music and re-uniting with Return To Forever.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #9

I prefer music in surround with or without a picture. The picture is a throw in, as far as I'm concerned. People are used to "looking" for video for a live concert presentation, but for studio DVD-A/SACD/Quad stuff, the picture is not required. Most of the time, people are moving around when listening to music anyway.
oblio98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008   #10

Lightbulb Re: 5.1 music with NO picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblio98 View Post
I prefer music in surround with or without a picture. The picture is a throw in, as far as I'm concerned. People are used to "looking" for video for a live concert presentation, but for studio DVD-A/SACD/Quad stuff, the picture is not required. Most of the time, people are moving around when listening to music anyway.
I personally listen to music-only programming with no additional picture added, but rather a colorful and programmable array of LED spot and flood lights. This allows for both continuous and uniform white lighting, as well as colorful processions of colored light that enhance the mood.

Yet, I appreciate decoding mono and stereo recordings (even 5.1, 6.2, & 7.1) over my 8.8 surround system, as it allows for a substantially more immersive and realistic experience from just about any source.

Jeremy

The Kipnis Studios
www.Kipnis-Studios.com

Video Calibration Labs
www.VideoCalibration.com

Epiphany Recordings Ltd.
www.EpiphanyRecordings.com

----------

KSS DL.TV Video Feature (NEW)
http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki...TV_-_6_08.html
The Kipnis Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #11

I agree as well.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #12
wes

Yes, 5.1 or 7.1 system for music is unbelievable, when I graded my system to include 3 B&W 802D and 2 B&W 802 with the JLFathom F113 sub let me know I realized how good SACD is

Listening to symphonies on this system is almost like being there if you close your eyes.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
51, audio, bluray, buy, codes, colorful, listening, music, picture, recorded, sound, surround, turn, tv, video