Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Surround Sound (http://www.avrev.com/forum/surround-sound-30/)
-   -   Do rear channels really matter that much? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/surround-sound/508-do-rear-channels-really-matter-much.html)

JerryDelColliano 08-24-2007 12:59 PM

Do rear channels really matter that much?

Over the years, I have been taken to the woodshed because I didn't have HUGE Wilson or Revel rear channel speakers installed at ear level with Mark Levinson or Krell amps on them....

The reality was I couldn't fit speakers in the correct or optimal place. Sometimes they needed to go in the ceiling out of necessity.

To me, the imaging was a bit off (to be kind) but when you consider how LITTLE music is mixed for 5.1 are you really missing anything by not making the big investment.

Or... should you spend more on your front and center speakers....?

kennyt 08-24-2007 01:25 PM

Re: Do rear channels really matter that much?

I for one find the rears to be very improtant and am frequently faulted for investing to much in them. the first time I used the same speakers for fronts and rears (active Linn 5140's) the difference was huge! Although most common logic would seem to argue against this, the bass from surrounds really is important, both for movies and MC audio.

As you know, I plan on Salons for the front and Studios for the rears.... Overkill??? In some opinions, I am sure it will seem to be, for me, I don't think so. Add to this equation the Great Dane I don't want knocking over my surrounds and it seems more sane (to me anyway!)

How is the Fairmont Jerry??

David DelGrosso 08-24-2007 02:10 PM

Every room is different and every budget is different... but whenever possible I honestly believe that 5 full-range speakers is the way to go.

Every year, more and more 5.1 mixes will be created... for movies, music and videogames.

And with 5 full-range, equally matched main speakers, I can accommodate any type of surround mix, from subtle ambient effects to full-room "roller-coaster rides."

Is anybody else committed to always using full-range, equally-matched rear speakers?

DD

kennyt 08-24-2007 03:03 PM

David,

While I would love Salons for rears, even I must draw the line somewhere...

Would I like them?? Hell yes! I am firmly in your camp!

EDA 09-24-2007 03:34 PM

With Dolby HD and DTS HD right around the corner I believe that rear surrounds are going to be just as important as the front range, and I'm convinced that having matched speakers is the way to go. Put in any good audio calibration disc that travels a tone around the room and you'll see what I mean. As for full range speakers all around, I think subs have come a long way and offer base that is just as good as a full range speaker.

kennyt 09-24-2007 05:21 PM

EDA,

I agree with you on the improvement of subs but still would prefer full range surrounds, and ideally matching fronts and surrounds, regardless of price!