Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Surround Sound

Surround Sound Talk about everything from 5.1 to 7.1 to Dolby True HD and beyond.

Old 09-28-2007   #19

Lightbulb Re: Do rear channels really matter that much?

Yes.

However, if one considers that the rear spkrs are placed in a very different location (behind you), the same exact musical wave form will sound very different hitting the back of your ears, and that rear spkrs work best well above ear level (not on the floor), the "exact" same spkrs will not sound the same. Have we forgotten that acoustic variables and spkr placement have a huge effect on the "exact " same spkrs?

Read Richard Vandersteen's views on this subject at his excellentweb site. Vandersteen Audio is the very very rare designer who actually builds various spkr models to tonally match in variable location.

dfair
dfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #20

Default Re: Do rear channels really matter that much?

i wonder how much could be done with rear speakers if you have a wall on half of your room and open air on the other side like in my room.
wazzzup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007   #21

dfair,

I run my setup more towards MCA therefore my rears are not elevated and are off to the side rather than behind me, I personally prefer monopoles also for this reason.

KT
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007   #22

I have similar rear, front and centre channel speakers from the same manufacturer (Sonus Faber) but couldn't afford the same speakers all around (all though they would fit the room). I have moved from different amps to the same mono-blocks for all speakers. My "matched" speakers don't provide complete uniformity. The different "voice" of the rear speakers is very noticeable, and the centre is very noticeable with music, but not so much with dialogue or sound effects. Moving from different amps from the same manufacturer to the same amps did improve the uniformity a little, but the speakers themselves (and positioning) are the main contributor to their "voice".

In the end I've decided to live with the difference of the different speakers. Currently I mostly listen to 2 channel music, so my main speakers and system are optimised for that. My surround sound is spectacular compared to most other systems, but it could be noticeably improved. Maybe by the time we have a good catalogue of surround sound music I'll be able to afford the same speakers all around .

-- Richard
AppleByter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #23

AppleByter,

You assume we will ever have a 'good catalogue' of MCA.... In the mean time enjoy your system, I love your amps and have my mind set on getting some of the Ref 1000 to use in my system soon, they sounmd great are small and look super cool!

KT
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #24

They certainly are and do. Awaiting Andrews review!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
815he, amps, channel, channels, do, full, home, matter, procella, range, rear, sound, spakers, speakers, surround, system, theater