Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Surround Sound

Surround Sound Talk about everything from 5.1 to 7.1 to Dolby True HD and beyond.

Old 09-24-2010   #1

Default Sound System/DVD Incompatible

I have a five year old Onkyo S780 surround sound system which worked perfectly with my Panasonic DVD player. The DVD player died and I replaced it with a Toshiba DR420. Trouble is the Onkyo true surround works only with an Optical Digital Audio cable or with a Coaxial Digital Audio cable. Neither of these two connections exist on the Toshiba DVD player. The DVD player has an HDMI output but the Toshiba does not have an HDMI connection.

Using RCA or S cable I can get very decent sound but it is not true surround sound. Is there a way around this or is my surround sound system just out of date. Alternatively, is there another DVD player that has either of the two required jacks.

Thanks for any help.

Capt Tom
captaintom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd, dvds, incompatibility, incompatible, sound, surround, system, systems